THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Reloading for BLR (in .257 roberts)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for BLR (in .257 roberts)
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone reload for their BLR?

If so, Full length or neck size only?

Also, how much play do you have in the COAL? I have a BOB on the way and I'm curious if I'll be able to max out the heavier bullets without a malfunction.

I am assuming that the barrels have a 1:10 twist, so I don't know if I can go heavier than 120 gr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ncsurveyor:
I am assuming that the barrels have a 1:10 twist, so I don't know if I can go heavier than 120 gr.
Have you a source for .257 bullets of great than 120 grains?

posted Hide Post
yes, .257's ULD RBBT.

Waiting for the manufacturer to email back, but he has made them up to 156gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ncsurveyor: I have reloaded for BLRs for several years. I have always full length resized my cases, but, unlike what you might read elsewhere, I have never found it necessary to use the small base dies that some manufacturers will suggest you use to overcome the supposed lack of camming action that lever actions have.

As far as COL goes, I don't have all of my data in front of me but my current hunting load for a 243 uses a COL of 2.65". I would suggest that using the heavy bullets you are discussing might cause you some issues. You will have to seat them pretty deep in order to get them to fit in the magazine, which will eliminate some powder space, which will lower your velocity, which might cause some stability issues with the heavy bullet spinning slowly out of your short (20") barrel. Given that, however, I must say that I have had no accuracy issues shooting 105 grain bullets out of my 243 with modest loadings that result in modest velocities.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pagris,

Upon evaluation of the magazine size and the documented OAL for Bob, I am estimating that I may only gain about 0.06" in adjusting the seating depth before I start to rub the magazine.

Looks like I should just pick whichever 117, 120 or 125 grain that works best in the gun and stick it out with that.

Does anyone know for sure what twist the 257 Bob has in a browning BLR? I know 10" is the most common, but I believe Browning had a 9.5 for their a-bolts. From a manufacturing standpoint, it would seem odd that they would bore them different. Except that the BLR were Japan made, no idea about the A-bolts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cannot confirm, but believe the BLR is 1 in 9.5". Due to the limited magazine length would suggest 115gr Partition as your heavy bullet. Why worry about extra weight with the increased penetration of todays boutique bullets? In my BLR the 100gr Hornady at about 2900fps has given complete penetration on deer up to 180lbs field dressed. Good Luck. Mine's not for sale. PS- My BLR's like slower powders for easier extraction.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Blackhawk,

9.5" is right. Once I received it, I took to measuring the twist and that's what I got.

I'll probably stick to the 115-120's as factory 117's are grouping well already.

Slower powders? Figured with the short barrel length might want to try some faster ones.

But I'll heed your advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4350 has been just fine. It was always Ken Water's favorite. Find a copy of his Pet Loads. John Barsness in recent Handloader articles has a soft spot for both 4831's, RL19, and Ramshot powders. JB does like his Roberts to move out smartly. Better get reprints from Wolfe Publishing. Happy hunting. BH

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote