New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new modern lever gun..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a BLR in 270 WCF, has the straight grip and not a take down..I sighted in the irons and then stuck a 1.5 x 5 Leupold on it..The irons got me under and inch for 3 at 75 yards, and the scope clustered 3 into one hold about .318 best I could measure it... (amazing)

Its a real handy saddle gun and fits all of my bolt gun scabbards and will lay real flat under my leg horseback, and still plenty of punch for any animal on the NA continent that I will hunt, which will primarily be elk and deer...It will shoot some flatter than my 308 mod. 99 or any of my Winchesters..I think I have a spot for it..

On the negative side the stock is too long for me and Im 6-2 and wear a 35 sleeve!! That's a first but its an easy fix..and I may as well knock the high shine of the wood while Im at it. It also struggles with my old 60 gr. of old surplus 4831 so will need to pull the bullets on all my old loaded ammo and go to 58 grs. and that sucks but hey gives an old curmudgeon something do in my golden years. beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice snag...Congrats, it will serve you well.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Smart purchase, Ray. I've always had a soft spot for BLR's; they're exceptionally well-made, and there are always reports of excellent accuracy. The one thing I found unusual about you post was the LOP comment! I don't think I've ever heard of a lever action LOP being too long! Usually, it's strongly in the other direction.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new toy. A BLR in 30-06 was my go to rifle for most of the last 20 years. Here is the best article on the BLR that I have run across.

http://shootingwithhobie.blogs...on-rifle-blr-by.html

I never tried this gunsmith, but he has a good reputation for working on the BLR trigger.

http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html

If you want to rebarrel, a 9.3x62 maybe, most gunsmiths will not even try (something to do with the barrel being pressed in, not sure about the specifics). The folks at "Wild West Guns" in Alaska can do it (I am assuming their shop in Las Vegas NV will do it also.

I also had to shorten the LOP from 14 1/4" to 13 3/4". The folks at Limbsaver do an awesome job with their "grind to fit" recoil pads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem comes when you try and put the lever back together. It is either too tight or loose against the receiver. I know of a good talented gunsmith who worked for Barnes Bullets for a while. It took him a week of putting it together and taking it apart before he figured out that it needed to go together as a unit. He said he would never do another one.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lk Hntr:
I never tried this gunsmith, but he has a good reputation for working on the BLR trigger.

http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html
QUOTE]

I just had Neil do trigger jobs on my BLR .308 and .358 as well as my BL-22. He did an outstanding job on all three rifles. Highly recommended.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He does have a great reputation, and has been around for a long time..

I put this gun on the market, I just don't really need it..It is dawning on me at my age the instantes that I dream up no longer happen..I shoot a forky mule dee, a couple of whitetail our of a blind, and my yearly elk out of an alfalfa patch..My 82 year old legs don't match Idahos high country anymore and an my back doesn't seem shovel friendly anymore!! So I am selling most of my guns, a mod. 94 win. would suit my hunting these days and I have seveal, but I will keep my old pre war 30-06 and maybe a .338 Win. who knows..I do have a weakness for the 25-35 and 348s..but I do the same thing with my rope horses, get old and sell them then buy another one cuz I got young again..I have a new rope horse in the pen and a a new 250-3000 Savage Ruger 77 in my lap! cuckoo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote