Find
Notify
Tools

45 LC - 10mm??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a lever gun for a trunk gun, mostly for blasting, but maybe for a shot at a wolf or yote that sticks his head out too long, anyways, I know they make a 454 lever, so there are actions that can handle the load, would it be possible to re-chamber a lever to 10mm? I think this would just be the greatist rife ever, small and quick, but with a real smack behind it.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I second the idea of a 10MM lever action. But Ruger had a run of 38-40 Winchester/10MM convertible Blackhawks a few years ago. I do not see why the 38-40 couldn't be loaded to 10MM pressures.

I would suggest rebarreling a Rossi 92 or Marlin 1894 to 38-40.

Any thoughts on this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it will be easy to convert. Your first problem is the 10MM case being a rimless which means head spacing on the mouth, second lever gun extractors are not very strong meaning if the gun is not head spaced real good and brass is of different OAL or to short the extractor may not be strong enough to hold against the fireing pin hit for good primer ingnition.
Third, there may be a feeding problem, some LG's will not feed the short version of the parent case, i.e. 44 mag may not feed 44 sp. 357 mag may not feed 38 sp.
One other thing is most 40 cal. bullets don't have a crimp groove, there could be a bullet setback problem with rounds in the mag tube during recoil.
I don't mean to bust anyones bubble, it is doable, but it won't be easy or cheep.

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the notion on a rebarrel to .38-40. First it's based on the same case head as the .45 Colt like the .44-40. With the larger case capacity, reasonable pressure loads should have no trouble exceeding 10mm performance levels. I like 10mm and have a 1911 and a Contender barrel in the caliber but the .38-40 lever conversion only requires a new barrel to get it to work and it really is .40 caliber anyway.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why go to 10mm when you can get the Marlin 1894 in 41Magnum? Both are fairly rare calibers and you can get a revolver in 41 Mag too if you want to match. Performance of 41 is most likely better than 10mm as well. Just a thought.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes true, but I love my glock, and well the 10mm is just a cool round, plus I can find 10mm in most stores here, but I've seldom seen 41 mag and when I did it was much more expensive

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote