New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Model 64-Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Interesting point about the M64 Winchester. The stock was designed by Col. Townsend Whelen. He also did the stock design for the M71 Winchester in .348.
I have two M64s one the Deluxe model, made in 1938, the other the plain model like in the posters picture, made in 1951. The deluxe model came with sling swivels, leather sling and decent checkering. Serial numbers run in the same range as the M94 making dating the rifle fairly easy.
IIRC, they came out around 1935, give or take a year and were discontinued around 1953. The were brought back around 1971 using the same M64 name but the stock was slightly different and I consider them a poor copy. They were also made in a carbine version with 20" barrel and those command a somewhat higher price.
For me, the M64 has a feel and livelyness that I've never found in any other rifle, although some have come close. it well deserves it's name, "The Deer Rifle".
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just given a Model ^$ Winchester can anyone tell me anything about them-in 30-30 and in good shape.

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got lucky last year at a general auction (furniture, antiques, etc.) and picked up M64 Deluxe in .32 Sp. for $330. The gun looks as though someone went hunting once and put it in a closet for 50 years. Some dings in the checkering but that's it, doesn't even look fired. One of these days I'll have to get it dirty.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Basically a Model 94 with a different stock and 3/4 tube.
Very collectable. They came in 219 Zipper, 25-35, 30/30 & 32 Special.
The "Model 64 Deer Rifle" only came in 30/30 &32Special and had checkered stock and sling swivels.
I have a model 64 in 30/30. I think if feels much more comfortable than a regular 94. I looked for a long time before I found one at a resonable price.
Take care of it, enjoy shootng it, it's a classic.