Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 94 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
does winchester still make the standard 94 .30/30 ? All i see in there catalogs are 94 Legacys trailends rangers trappers ect.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 94 Ranger is a fancy name for the standard. I have a 94 Legacy in 24" in 45 LC. It's a farily good gun. If you are wanting more of a modern lever action look, go with a Marlin. They are just as good if not better. More and more cowboy shooters are going to Marlin.

In my honest opinion, every since US Repeating Arms bought out Winchester, they have gone to pot. It's just my opinion. Besides the fact that I had a 9410 that I sold back after a week because it kept misfiring. Smiler

Posts: 68 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I think the Ranger is the El Cheapo model with walnut stained hardwood stock. I have a Model 70 Youth Ranger that I won in a raffle and it had a cheap hardwood stock. Ugly and clubby, but I restocked it. FWIW, it's no problem to find a used 94 for a fairly reasonable price. Last one I bought was made in 1971 and cost me $170. Damn good shooter too.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a pre64 model 94 in excellent condition for $200.00 I was just curious about the new rifles and yes the ranger is the model 94 except with hard wood stock not walnut. I was just wondering when they stopped the standard 94

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was right about the time that US Repeating Arms took them over. They went from quality hardwoods to veneered or stained sub-grade woods.

One thing to keep in mind ... Marlin still uses 100 Walnut on all of their stocks. For around the same price as a 94. Smiler

Posts: 68 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you did well by buying a used pre 64, they were the gun for a hunter/rifleman, well made and not the junk on sale today....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank god you brought a pre 64 .Cause if you'd brought one of the current 94s ,I would of made a point of finding you and Slapped ya for being so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I kid ye not I've seen several of the latest 94s and they leave me feeling very unwell.

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
And a fine shooter it is i can keep my groups inside a quarter at 50 yards with winchester factory 170 gr silvertips with iron sights and that will probably shrink a little with the williams peep i just put on it.