New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR Take-Down Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been looking at something more compact to use for travel and someone suggested the BLR take-down model.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, how difficult is it to take-down and reassemble -- and the big question, does it retain it's zero?

I've also seen a lightweight version listed and would entertain one of those - in a take-down version also. Anyone have experience with any of the take-down versions?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Got one in .450 Marlin and a friend has one in .308 Win. Both shoot very accurately. We have noticed an occasional slight change of zero, but not enough to miss the target with either at 200 yds. Still a kill shot.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I also have a takedown model BLR in 450 Marlin. Have not really noticed any real change of POI when you take it apart and put it back together, at least not anything that would be meaningful in a hunting situation. Great guns.

You might also consider a Blaser R93 or R8. They are quite a bit more expensive but in my mind, they are the state of the art in takedown rifles.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a .300 Win. mag. BLR redone with a Shilen barrel in .375 Ruger. I love it. My gunsmith tweaked it so well that it maintains MOA accuracy upon every reassembly. Spending some extra $ on an off-the-rack BLR takedown to improve accuracy, is, IMO, $ well-spent. Many BLRs don't even need the added accuracy work. I wish Browning would step up and engineer their BLRs even better starting with tighter box magazines and no more creepy/sloppy triggers...