THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Scopemount for Savage m99 pre 1940 TD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopemount for Savage m99 pre 1940 TD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a English stocked M99 Savage in .250-3000 recently, and since it is only drilled ,tappedfor diopter at the rear. I wondered what kind or scopemount to choose for a takedown model ?

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A number of bases and rings will work if its drilled and tapped,but once done its hard to use the take down feature as the barrel cannot be turned with the scope on it due to the metal extension on the action at the rear of the forend. but I never liked taking the 99s down anyway, as that created wear.....It will also effect the value of a take down to drill and tap it. Mine has weaver bases because they are low an if I remove the scope the take down works...I also use old Redfield bases with the old one screw or the two screw top rings of the 1940s...classic scopemounts for the 99 or about any rifle..Leupold also makes bases that will work with these old rings..I have a nice personal supply of these..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my 99 takedown out and played with it,as your post interested me..I found out on one of my year model 1920ish 250s..with standard weaver bases and a 3 and 4X fixed scope what had some length that modern scopes don't have I could tade the forend off and turn the barrel off. of not the screw attachment and iron sight on the are both forward of the scope bell..thanks to you its now scoped..but if you intend to ever sell it don't D&T that old gun if its in decent condition, it hurts the value with some folks, others will use it to get a better price, and that's a legit reason I suppose. Ive seen that, then they D&T it! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that there's a no drill scope mount that uses the rear sight dovetail and the screw hole on the wrist. I'll see if I can figure out where I saw it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That scope mount is a Stith Stremeline, the scope slides into a sleeve that in turns dove tails into the rear sight dovetail thats on the barrel...The rear ring was usally mounted in the receiver shight holes on the left side of the rear ring in some guns and on the top holes on a Savage 99 for instance, again using the receiver sight holes...some older guns had to be drilled and tapped on the rear bridge...It was a well thought of mounting system, and was said to be strong, but it tended to move around a little too much for me. It certainly was a classic looking set up for low power straight tube scopes..I used them back in the day, Had it in my head they were perfect for a saddle scabbard, but didn't work out all that good for me. there was always a bit of movement that made a 2 inch gun into a 3" gun so to speak or more or less..they can had on line and in blogs from time to time and they fetch a pretty price.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The B&L Kurharsky bases on my old 243 are interesting. the middle of the rear base has a hole for the cocking indicator.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
That scope mount is a Stith Stremeline, the scope slides into a sleeve that in turns dove tails into the rear sight dovetail thats on the barrel...The rear ring was usally mounted in the receiver shight holes on the left side of the rear ring in some guns and on the top holes on a Savage 99 for instance, again using the receiver sight holes...some older guns had to be drilled and tapped on the rear bridge...It was a well thought of mounting system, and was said to be strong, but it tended to move around a little too much for me. It certainly was a classic looking set up for low power straight tube scopes..I used them back in the day, Had it in my head they were perfect for a saddle scabbard, but didn't work out all that good for me. there was always a bit of movement that made a 2 inch gun into a 3" gun so to speak or more or less..they can had on line and in blogs from time to time and they fetch a pretty price.

Thanks Ray, that's the one. I believe someone is manufacturing them new now too.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newly made Stiths would be interesting to look into, the are a streamline good looking set up, it they have delt with the movement, then the would be my choice..I think a set screw would simplify the problem!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New made Stiths , for modern scopes or vintage era scopes? That would look good and handy .

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had weaver bases on my 20's 99 take down 250-3000 take down and straight tube weaver 3X.

Had no trouble taking it down.

It did develop head space problem.

Sent it back to savage to have it fixed when they still did that.

It was stolen en-route.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter, that is very sad to hear that riflebwas stolen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just found out that the bottom of the front sleever on some later Stith has a 1 inch lengthwise double cut on the bottom of sleeve and it can be tapped to get more tension and solve the looseness problem..I knew it would be an easy fix and with it you have a perfect scope mount for any rifle..Ive seen that sleeve matched up with a weaver base and ring on the back, makes a neat set up..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120