New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-loading the 444 Marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received a 444 for my birthday and am looking for a load. I also received a box of Hornady 265 light magnums and am a little concerned about using them in a lever gun. Need help please.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks as though you got a box of the best factory loaded ammo that a 444 owner could have. Why would you worry about firing factory loads, even light magnums, in a rifle that is (or should be) in good condition?

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Hornady ammo will do just fine in the 444...

I have had one since 1982... I love it!

ONe thing people do is load it up hot, and for that I am not sure why.. except testosterone maybe...

first of all the bullets are not that aerodynamic...So a lot more velocity gives you about 10 to 15 yds tops extra point blank range..

The 44 caliber bullets don't need a lot of velocity to penetrate thru about anything...
Especially if one uses the Hornady XTP bullets...

For handloading, a lot of load recommendations end up giving you a full case which is a pain in a straight case like the 444....

So I can tell you Max 44 Mag rifle loads work just fine in a 444 with lower pressure, and no dealing with a compressed load when reloading..

It also will yield the same velocity as it would in a 44 Mag....

My favorite two powders are Blue Dot shotgun powder and SR 4759... ( NOT 4756!)... and a 300 grain Hornady XTP....MV is about 1750 fps...

Accuracy can be a one hole group at 75 yrds at times...That is the max recommended velocity for the bullet any way... Zeroed 3.5 inches high at 100 yds it is easily a 150 to 160 yd load... It will take down anything that gets in its way...

That 300 grain XTP really will put some damage on whatever it hits...

All of this and recoil is reduced about 40 to 50% over factory loads or loads that require 50 grains of powder or so...Al you sacrifice is about 10 to 15 yds, of point blank range.. IN woods hunting that is not really a concern anyway...

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 444SS (micro groove barrel) LOVES the 265gr LM loads from Hornady!!! That said, however, I wish to use 300gr bullets of stouter construction. I will be using Grizzly Cartridge Company's 300gr Bonded Flat Point this season and see how it works out.

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 300 gr. Beartooth cast over H335 powder with 58 gr. Chronographs at 2300 fps. Haven't shot anything buit a tree with it but sure penetrated the wood.

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you handload, 50 grains of Vihtavouri 130 and a 265 Hornady will make the 444 stand up and do tricks. I chronographed my 24" Marlin 444 at 2380fps. That's smokin' for a 444. No pressure signs, smooth extraction.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marshall Stanton a http://www.beartoothbullets.com has written the best articles on the 444 that I've read.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Levergun Guys,
I'm trying to pull together some reloading data for 444. Bulets of interest include Barnes XPB 225 grain, 240 & 280 grain A Frames, 250 grain Partitions and 270 Gold Dots. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Keezer:
I just received a 444 for my birthday and am looking for a load. I also received a box of Hornady 265 light magnums and am a little concerned about using them in a lever gun. Need help please.

Uhhhh... What other kind of gun is there for 444 cartridges?

ANY factory load for the 444 is safe in your marlin.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uhhhh... What other kind of gun is there for 444 cartridges?

Encore, Contender, BFR Revolver......

The Lord Bless You

Terry