THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Need help w/ 358 win and 225 gr NP's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help w/ 358 win and 225 gr NP's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good Morning!

I am looking for some suggestions/recomendations
concerning my .358 win BLR.

I would like to shoot the 225 gr nosler Partitions but am having no luck getting my rifle to group these bullets.

I have tried various weights of IMR 4320, H4895 and Varget with no luck...I seem to get a random spray around the traget...2-3 inch group.

The rifle will group the Hornandy 200 spire pt and the 250 gr speers very nicely... MOA no problem. Seems to like 44.5 grs of h4895 in the 250 gr slugs. 50 grs of 4320 groups the 200's as tight as I can shoot.

Primary duty will be for elk. I suspect the 250 gr speers will be just fine for all reasonable ranges. Have always had good luck w/ the partitons and thought the 225's would be a good choice.

Any ideas...faster powder?

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try IMR 3031.

But sometimes some barrels just do not like some bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After several years of trying all the usual suspects, I finally settled on TAC with magnum primers for all my 225 & 250 grain loads. THE 225 Sie is moa, while the 225 Partition is just a hair over. Both are 2500 fps, & are not compressed.

My best 250 grain load is the Sp HotCore, with the Sp GS & Hornady RN very close in accuracy. The 250 loads are driven at 2400 fps.

You can get excellent information from John Barsness's August 2008 Handloader article, & also from a website that I believe is named 35 Whelen Northwoods. The gentleman publishing here has years of experience with all manner of .35s.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK..thanks for the suggestions. Will give TAC a try.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimincolo,

I searched the net yesterday and was surprised at the lack of load data for TAC in .358. I e-mailed ramshot to no avail.

Would you share your load data for the 225 and 250 gr bullets using TAC?

Thanks in advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kreyten Give W 748 a try. I have had good results with 200 & 225 gr bullets

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kreyten- I am a half grain under the John Barsness loads from 8-08 (#254 ) Handloader. My 225 loads use 48.5 grains of TAC, & my 250 loads use 47.5 grains. Primers are Fed. 215's.

These are hunting loads, & as such, are not max in my rifle ( BLR with 20 inch barrel ). My brass is actual WW.358, not expanded .308. Some cases have been loaded & fired 4 times.

I have had good luck with W748 with 200 grain bullets, & even RL7 with 180's.

The .358 will perform well with a bunch of different powders. The problem is that you will be using compressed loads to achieve adequate velocity in some cases.

Obviously, start a little lower, & work up. As you know, all rifles are different.

Good luck with your load development. The .358 is an exceptionally good cartridge, IMO.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim