Find
Notify
Tools

Re: peep sights
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
My experience is exactly the opposite of yours. I've many Williams Foolproofs and they all work well under adverse conditions. The Lyman (the first I bought as a separate sight) is good except that the scale plate screw/thread stripped. I epoxied it rather than send it back (after zeroing of course). It may have been a fluke but I was disappointed in Lyman's customer service (a misnomer in my book).

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about adding a Lyman #2 Tang to my 336 3030AI. I want to keep the buckhorns for shorter/quicker shots with a 75yrd zero. My thought with the Tang is that I could use it on stand with a 150yrd zero. I figure that the Tang will align a bit higher than the buckhorn, but will the buckhorn be in the aperture sight window enough to interfere with the effectiveness of an aperture sight?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I figure that the Tang will align a bit higher than the buckhorn, but will the buckhorn be in the aperture sight window enough to interfere with the effectiveness of an aperture sight?

Nope
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke,
The short answer to your quesation is yes. the buckhorn rear sight will interfier with your tang sight use.

Go to brownells and look for the Marbles folding open rear sight with windage. I prefer the flat top but it is available both ways.

Posts: 36 | Location: San Angelo Texas | Registered: 21 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like the old steel Lymans and Redfields for my Marlins & Winchesters. Williams are well designed and equally functional, although not as easy to adjust in the field, but made of aluminum.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the ashley sights myself on the Marlin. But then again, I'm a set and forget kinda guy. Never had enough time to adjust the sights in the field anyway.

I use a williams FP on my cast bullet mauser. I added Target knobs and it works well for me.

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald 416, thanks for your good information on the limitations of the tang sight. I have to confess that after more than 50 years of involvment in the shooting sports, that I have not had a rifle with a tang sight until very recently. A recent aquisition is one of the Italian made Sharps replicas, and it has a tang sight which is fine for deliberate shooting as you have stated. I am sure it would be totally useless for a running or a follow up shot on moving game. I have several lever guns with Lyman and Redfield receiver sights and they do work well for me. I have often thought that the tang sights look really cool on lever guns, but have wondered about the short eye-relief with any rifle other than a .22 rimfire. I can just see myself throwing a rifle up to my shoulder for a moving shot and sticking the tang sight in my eye. So thank you for saving me the embarassment.

A thought on the modern Lyman receiver sight made out of aluminium, it is not as good as the original all steel version, but it is not all bad either. I dropped one of our Marlin 1894 rifles directly on to the bridge of a Lyman receiver sight and it hit hard, and bent the bridge right down to the top of the action. I looked long and hard at this and decided to take a chance and straighten the bridge in a vise. It came right out straight with out breaking. So maybe you can get away this at least once. Still wish it was all steel. One thing that I do like about the Lyman sight is that you can make large adjustments without turning the knobs. You can depress the slide release and move it up or down as you please. We do this a lot when plinking in the outback at several hundred yards of guesstimation. Each graduation on the slide is 3 minutes approximately, we need two graduations or six minutes of angle just to go from full power loads to our cast bullet loads at 1700 fps.

May all of your BB's fly straight, best regards from Nevada duke.

Posts: 41 | Location: reno nv | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Hook67>
posted
kutenay, how is the XS mounted on your Browning SRC? I have one too, and have been looking for a good way to 'peep' it. Did you have to change the front sight?

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hook67:
kutenay, how is the XS mounted on your Browning SRC? I have one too, and have been looking for a good way to 'peep' it. Did you have to change the front sight?
Rightfully resurrected, here's Brian Pearce's 1886 SRC XS mount...

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nevada duke:

I don't think I have ever heard a tang sight discussed since I was a kid of 10-11 and using a tang sight on a 22 to shoot at chucks. The tang sight was easy to use and therefore a great improvement over open sights (even for a 10-11 year old with the eyes of an eagle in using open sights) It's problem in later years and on heavier calibers than a 22 was that recoil factored in. It's true that a larger peep helped for eye relief but there still was the fact that then precision of aiming was lost. At least that was my experience with a 30-30 in deer hunting in woods. (I preferred to "walk up" or "still hunt" northern whitetails and went back to open sights. Bringing the rifle up and getting down to aim was easier with open sights on a snap shot)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote