Find
Notify
Tools

1860 Replica...who has one
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Trying to see if the Henry is worth the $1000 premium over the Uberti. I like the idea of the .44-40 but I think the .45LC is probably a better choice due to ammo availability. These rifles look great and I'll never be able to own an original. Anyone on here own one or has shot one of these?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you mean the original design Henry, I have had them and worked on them.
They have the same mechanism as the later 66 and 73s, only load from the front. The loading gate thing was "King's patent".
Fun to shoot. I go with the Ubertis. I usually tune them up though to make them smoother to operate.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bugle, just keep in mind that you must exercise caution when loading the Henry. Just ask the cowboy action shooters. So

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Cimarron (Uberti) 1860 Winchester.
Better fit and finish than any modern Henry Arms replica I have handled.
Not worth any premium at all.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have handled the Henry Companies 1860, the fit and finish was very good. The action was smooth. At $1499.00 it was just a little to costly for me at the time. I would love to have one.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I have handled the Henry Companies 1860, the fit and finish was very good. The action was smooth. At $1499.00 it was just a little to costly for me at the time. I would love to have one.

$1499 was a good price for a Henry, I think they are $2000+ now and around $1100 for the Uberti version

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Trying to see if the Henry is worth the $1000 premium over the Uberti. I like the idea of the .44-40 but I think the .45LC is probably a better choice due to ammo availability. These rifles look great and I'll never be able to own an original. Anyone on here own one or has shot one of these?

I have fired the Uberti version, not the Henry version though. I am a 44-40 man and the reason we Cowboy shooters like the 44-40 is that it is a bottleneck case and it seals very well when firing a full charge (35 grains Goex FFG) of black powder. If you are firing smokeless the .45 Colt would be the pick because ammo and brass cases are available everywhere.
As far as the premium for the Uberti, that seems a bit strange. Last time I priced them, the Henry was more expensive. The reason most Cowboy Shooters use the Uberti is there are 'short stroke kits' and aftermarket kits available for them to cycle the ammo faster. My guess is that by now there are some guys who make kits for Henry's too. I don't think either should command a premium.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter
I think he was talking about the premium price of the modern Henry Company's rifle over the Uberti.

I have owned two Uberti Henrys (still have one in 45 Colt) and won't sell it. It is the color case one not the brass frame and love shooting it. I have only ever handled one of the modern Henry rifle companys 1860 replicas and I will have to agree with vlwtx348 about the Uberti being of better fit and finish. My 1860 Uberti is more than adequate enough for minute of Bambi out to 100 yds or so which I hope to use it maybe this year on one. I vote for the Uberti 1860.

Steve....

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
buckeyeshooter
I think he was talking about the premium price of the modern Henry Company's rifle over the Uberti.

I have owned two Uberti Henrys (still have one in 45 Colt) and won't sell it. It is the color case one not the brass frame and love shooting it. I have only ever handled one of the modern Henry rifle companys 1860 replicas and I will have to agree with vlwtx348 about the Uberti being of better fit and finish. My 1860 Uberti is more than adequate enough for minute of Bambi out to 100 yds or so which I hope to use it maybe this year on one. I vote for the Uberti 1860.

Steve....

Yes, now it has been 10 years or so, but when I last looked at buying an 1860, the uberti version was available at a street price of $1100. and the Henry 1860 was more like $1500. These were the Iron frame guns. I ended up buying a uberti 1866 yellowboy with 19 inch barrel in 44-40. This is my black powder Cowboy Action rifle. I shoot a 44 magnum marlin 1894 for smokeless. I have 44 magnum vaqueros with extra cylinders made up in 44-40 for handguns.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an iron frame case colored Henry by Uberti in 44-40, and have had it for over 25 years. It is very accurate. It cuts playing cards edgewise at 25 yards, and I have killed crows at 200 yards with it in front of witnesses. No mechanical or reliability issues of any kind, and the fit and finish are about as good as it gets. No, it is not for sale.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote