New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 30-30 marlin used to shoot great. i went to viet nam & gun was stored for years, came back & shot it, the bullets hit the target sideways. Who can re-barrel a marlin 30-30?

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I don't have an answer but a question. I bought my Marlin in 63. viet nam 67-70 and it hung in my room at home and been left in the closet alot since and still shoots good. Even the old Weaver K-4 still works. What do you think happned. That is strange.
Gene

Welcome to AR

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the barrel crown for damage. Perhaps someone did you a "favor" by cleaning it ( improperly ) while you were gone. Lots cheaper to re-crown than get a new barrel.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sky C.
posted Hide Post
Simply storing the gun is not a cause for it to go bad.

Bullets hitting sideways??? Need more detail about the ammo you're using... Factory? Handloads? What bullet weight, charge, etc.

This is a .30-30 & not .32 Special (dumb question I know - but sometimes it could happen). The .30-30 ammo would fit & fire but the loose fit of the .30 cal bullet in a larger .32 bore...

Other causes for keyholing can be a bullet too long for the rifling twist. Certainly unlikely with factory ammo.

How's the bore? Something else that comes to mind... If cast bullets were used and for whatever reason left a LOT of leading - night be a cause for problems - especially since microgroove rifling is shallow. Might want to be sure the bore has been cleaned well and try again.

In any case, I doubt that rebarreling is what would be needed. Probably a more simple fix is in order.

Good luck.

Sky C.

Posts: 103 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to contact Marlin with your problem. You'll have to send the rifle bck to them with a letter explaining your problem. They won't remember your phone conversation. It could be nothing more than a simple recrowning of the barrel to a total replacement. That could be costly.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
I have a 30-30 marlin used to shoot great. i went to viet nam & gun was stored for years, came back & shot it, the bullets hit the target sideways. Who can re-barrel a marlin 30-30?

Clean it.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
e-gunparts.com sells replacement barrels. I haven't dealt w/ them just have browsed their selections.

Posts: 49 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote