Find
Notify
Tools

444 Marlin Feeding Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted
I have a M94 Timber Carbine .444 Marlin. I purchased some Hornady 265gr. FP LIGHT MAG ammo and I'm having feeding issues. The round seems to get jammed between the magazine tube and barrel. Only way to load is to crack open the action, drop in the round, and close.

Anyone else have problems with this? I don't have this problem with the 240gr. Remington loads, but I'd rather not use them for hunting.

If handloading, to what size are you trimming it to? If I have specific measurements I can have someone load some for me.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the overal length difference between the two rounds. You might have to remove a little lead off the nose of the 265 grainers.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 444 in a marlin rifle and I have used both the 240 and 265 gr. I have to work the action a little slower with the 265, but they work and they are the more accurate of the two. I expect to start handloading soon. If I load jacketed bullets it will be the 265 and I will adjust the length to feed well if possible.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle and have loaded the same cartridge with no problem...

I have jammed it by short-stroking. Try giving it a good rack when working the action.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
never mind I though you had a Marlin rifle.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
I played around with it this afternoon. Really have to "crack it", otherwise it gets jammed. Also, once the lead on the bullet gets mashed up a bit from getting jammed, it cycles easier.

Has anyone used the 250gr Nosler Partions?

I had planned on using this rifle to hunt bear over bait, but not confident with it with the Hornady 265gr. loads as it's a bitch to get it to cycle from the magazine tube.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you reload, the Speer Uni-core 300 gr. FP is a pretty devastating round.

47 grains of RL-7 gives me 2050 fps out of the Timber carbine. I shot a boar with it last year - it made a big hole in the pig and the pig made a big dent in the ground it went down so fast.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COL is critical in all Lever actions. Be sure to check that first. I have been using the Hawk bullets with .025 jackets. They are real stompers and I have been lucky with two bear so far. Nothing was recovered from either one.
They go up to 300 grain which is what I was using. I cannot remember which powder but the performance was very good.
I used mine in a Marlin but with some testing I would bet they work well in the Win.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Big Bore 444 (straight 94) and have fed factory 240, reloaded cast 240 SWC, reloaded 260 (or is it 265?) and 300XTP (both Hornady) and had no problems. Check the trim length and seat the bullets farther, I guess.