Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lever actions in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted
Thanks for the history on the 1895 and yes a Lee Metford/Enfield .303 is quicker to operate than a Winchester 1895 a few years ago I and a few mates did rapid fire shooting with the following
.303 Lithgow SMLE
.303 "Jungle Carbine" No.5
.30/06 Browning 1895 (Modern Reproduction of M1895)
.308 Browning BLR
The fastest to operate was a tie between the .303 SMLE and the modern .308 Browning BLR depending on who was shooting it was only a second either way . All rifles had open sights ,the most accurate was the Jungle Carbine No5 .303 at 100 yards (peep sights) The 1895 was the slowest and the least accurate but I still like this model and it gives me a excuse to practice my rapid shooting! I have a Winchester 1895 in .405Win. so with the stout recoil I do not think it will win any speed trial. Thanks again on your research on the 1895.
Steve

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
What is the largest animal, using a Winchester 1895 in .405Win., would you be comfortable with using it on? and of the modern lever action offerings, rifles and cartridges, what in your opinion is the best for African use? Thanks
Steve

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Its the most powerful rimmed cartridge, the Marlin is a rimless belted case. I do not have the specs. on the Marlin at hand but I do not think there is much between them.
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi ganyana
thanks for your reply . i wanted just theorically know the possibilities of my beloved 3030 and I have some intersts in cowboy action hunting which limits the choice of hunter to those old leveraction calibers like 45-70 and 405 win and 3040 3030 and even 44-40 and only iron sight which may limits the range too.
best regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote