THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Marlin 357x44 B&D...............
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 357x44 B&D...............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That sounds like a lot of fun, not to mention your going to be the only one on the shooting line with one of those!

I had always wondered why I had not seen anything in a chambering like that before? Seems just right for medium game. Of course why .357 Remington Maximum had never been tried is beyond me

have a blast!

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I think the main reason the Maxi hasn't been tried is it would take an action like the Marlin 336 series to handle it. On paper the B&D out does the Maxi with some bullet weights but the Maxi has the ability to use heavier bullets and leaves the B&D behind. I have 2 B&D's and 2 Maxi's. It should be wicked on Whitetails out to 150 yds or so. It is fun to see people walk down the shooting line and then back up and pick up a piece of B&D brass and stare at it and then ask 'What the heck is it?' Whats going on Wednesday hasn't got here yet?

Steve E.......

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
World of wonders, I got a call from the Smith today and they told me my rifle would go out UPS second Air on Monday. This job "Is a simple job and won't take but a couple of months" at least is what I was told, started in May 03. As soon as it is in my hands and I insure everything is as it should be I'll post the Smith's name. I furnished the rifle and new barrel and reamer and he charged me $150.00 to do the work. I'll post pic's if I can get it right.

Steve E........

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Had to call the Smith and tell them to send my barrel they took off back(they said they would but didn't). I got it today. Last weekend I took the rifle to the range with an assortment of ammo, mostly 158 gr. of one form or another and a few 180 gr. The best performers were the 180 gr. bullets, most notably the 180 Gr.XTP HP's. Almost loads were with 296 powder. Most groups averaged around 1 1/2 inch but the best was 1/2 inch. 2400 showed some promise with the 180's. Not sure of the velocity, can't set a Chrony up at the range I'm shooting at. All shooting was done at 50 yds. and with iron sights. And for the best of all, the smith was Jim Brockman at Brockman Rifles in Gooding Id. Workmanship is first rate, caliber marking on the barrel looks real nice. He did the job for $150.00 and I furnished the rifle, barrel, reamer and gauges. Took about a year and a half but it was worth it.

Steve E........