New
Find
Notify
Tools

WINCHESTER 94 NEED HELP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Win 94 top eject that has started stringing shots vertically. Each successive shot is about 6 inches above the last, in a virtually straight line. Can some please help me nut out possible solutions?
thanks in advance
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check under your forearm.
your mag might be loose the magtube is like a tensioner for the bbl.
most guys will loosen them intentionally but if it's rattling around it'll cause problems.
the weight of the cases moving through it might be your problem.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you using cast or jacketed ammo. either something is coming lose or barrel is fouling possibly raising chamber pressure.might try deep cleaning on barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some possible problems may be the various mach. screws holding the mag.tube and forearm together. You have one screw going vertical in the front of the tube which screws into the bottom of the barrel, holding the spring cap in place, one screw going horizonatal holding the tube and barrel in place, barrel band just behind the front sight ramp, one horizontal screw holding barrel band for holding forearm in place. If any of those have come loose, may well impact on the accuracy of the rifle?? If any of those are loose may be causing your problem. There are relief cuts in both the barrel and the tube to permit the screws to go in place and if they are binding against the barrel other than in those relief cuts, that may be a problem as well?? Has the rifle been taken apart recently? That forearm screw is a bummer sometimes to get lined up and back in place.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the 150 gn Sierra's. I tightened everything up and it has stopped the vertical stringing.Thanks for the input.first two shot at 100 meters were about two inches apart and the third one openrd up the group to about three and a half inches.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Just for fun, remove the mag tube and forend, and try shooting it.
This will tell you if you have problems with pressure points. If your rifle shoots much better this way, start looking. Pressure can be from barrel bands, the magazine cap screw, or the wooden forend itself.
Every 30-30 I have shoots better with these components very slightly relieved.

The only problem with being Canadian, is the presence of Liberals
Canadian Liberal Government= Elected Dictatorship!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Win. Mod. 94 is very popular here in the Eastern U.S. and known as "that deer rifle," but noticed you are using 150gr. bullets and was told as a youngster by others, use the 170's for better performance. As the "kid" in deer camp would not have been the right thing to do to ask why, but do it and still do yet to this day. Might try some heavier bullets and see if it helps any, but doubt it will help a whole lot. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote