Find
Notify
Tools

.303 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Saw a nice, early Savage 99 in this classic chambering the other day. Sure was tempted, now that Graf's has good, inexpensive brass for it. Funny, it was the old 190-grain jacketed bluenose bullet that helped make this cartridge's reputation on hevier game, even though it is the virtual twin of the .30 WCF. I remember Sam Fadala saying he liked to pull the .303 bullet and load it as his heavy load for the .30-30, but I don't know of anyone who makes the bullet anymore.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes I remember Fadala using 190's in his 30-30. I haven't payed attention to the fact that nobody makes them anymore. Too bad that's what made the .303 Savage unique.

If I saw a 99 like you described at a good price I'd jump on it!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Savage 1899 or 1895 in .303Savage with 26" oct barrel is still something I dream about. Classic American rifle. Very underrated in my book.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 99s and not-too-long ago bought a 1937 99 barrel-band carbine in 303 Savage. In solid used-but-not-abused shape, I'm quite pleased with it. I bought some of Graf's ammo for it and it shoots well with the original front sight and aperture rear.

Having a few empties to work with, I loaded some rounds with Hornady 160 FTX, using 30-30 data. Using max 30-30 data for Leverevolution, it achieves 2350 fps and groups marginally better than factory, so it's a keeper.

Another reason to keep it was discovered in the draw-bolt hole when stripping it to remove dust and grease of the ages. Some long-ago owner had secreted an original 303 Savage round near the draw-bolt head and then stashed 15 or 20 shortened "strike-anywhere" matches between patches on top of the round by the butt plate. Wish this one could talk.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jens, this one has the round barrel, but pretty sure it is 26 inches. I'd love one in octagon as well.
Dave, that is just totally cool! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hawk still shows 190 gr .308" bullets with thin jackets that ought to be perfect for the .303 Savage, though they are flat points; don't know if they would feed right in a '99 or not. They also show 180s in their usual RT (round tip) style.

I've been happy with Hawks in larger bores, but I have no personal hunting experience with any of theirs under .375". Those worked great.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
'Preciate that intel, Steve. If one of these follows me home I will inquire of Hawk.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW: While Western and Winchester loaded the .303 Sav. with the 190 gr. bullet (at a quoted MV of 1980 fps), Peters and Remington loaded it in "high velocity" form with a 180 gr. RN (at a quoted 2140 fps). So, you could reload with any of the standard 180 gr. RNs available today and have a "factory equivalent load" that will still beat the standard .30-30 in bullet weight.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill-thanks for the kind words. And to the other posters for all the intel about a nearly-forgotten caliber. Good stuff all.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have a 99 TD that I whacked a few deer with using Winchester 190 gr. silvertips. I remember reading old stories about how it was very popular with Canadian moose hunters for its deep penetration. Really, nowdays, you could outperform the original 190 gr. load by using the 170 grain Nosler partition RN. I like nostalgia more than most, but the Noslers show up all the time at Shooters Pro Shop and they will penetrate if you have a stray moose in your garden!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lee, of course you are right. I will have to admit that plain old nostalgia significantly influences my views on the romance of old and obsolete firearms. The .303 Savage has this in spades.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Graf and Sons also has ammunition for the 303 Savage.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For several years I owned an 1899 Savage carbine in 303 Savage, I believe from 1919. It too had the folding tang sight and was "on" with it and the front sight. For as light as everything about the rifle was it sure shot good with my 180 gr. cast, gas checked bullets over IMR-3031. It remains the only rifle with which I scored a double on called coyotes. Only reason I parted with it is interests changed significantly. Great rifle and cartridge.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
A Savage 99 in .303 Savage was my first centerfire rifle. I think I paid $30 for it and two boxes of Winchester Silvertips in 1947. I was 11 then, and I paid for it with money I'd saved from selling newspapers. It had a crescent-schaped buttplate and a schnabel fore-end. It was my only "big game" rifle until about 1954, when I bought a Sears Model 50 in .270 Win.

Sometime later, I switched the 99's rear stock to one with a flatter butt.

I shot a lot of mule deer and javelinas with that .303. After following Jack O'Connor every month, I bought a Weaver 2.5X scope with a post and crosshair and became the first person I knew to hunt with a scoped rifle. (All my friends claimed scopes made shooters "wiggle," and weren't "fast enough" to hunt with.)

I'm sorry to report that my .303 and 34 other rifles and shotguns were stolen in a burglary a few years ago.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just came inside from shooting my Sav 99.
It started life as a .303 sav, 26" octagon to round barrel, crescent butplate.
The barrel was worse then a rutted dirt road and was relines to preserve the neat barrel contour to 25 cal and chambered to 25/35 imp.
When I got it from my friends widow it didn't feed, Dennis Olson took care of that.
I started with IMR 4895 and speer 87 grn bullets as that was the first box I grabbed.
I reached 3188 fps with 36.5 grns and the primers are still nice and round on the edges.
35.5 gave 3133 for 3 shot ave and shot as good as I can hold irons nowdays.
Cases were Rem 30-30 brass and hold the exact same amount of water as Rem 250 sav brass does.
This should be a fun, although a bit heavy, take a walk in the woods rifle.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bill, that burglary again. Sorry for your loss.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason to keep it was discovered in the draw-bolt hole when stripping it to remove dust and grease of the ages. Some long-ago owner had secreted an original 303 Savage round near the draw-bolt head and then stashed 15 or 20 shortened "strike-anywhere" matches between patches on top of the round by the butt plate. Wish this one could talk.

Dave Manson[/QUOTE]Have a good friend everytime time he buys a new old gun he removes the butt plate over the years he has found a treasure trove of artifacts.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 99 in 303 with an octagon to round 26" barrel with folding Lyman aperture tang sight. I restocked it and had it rust blued because the bore is near perfect and it shoots nicely.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Vol, that sounds lovely. Don't be shy about posting a photo or two, as I am sure everyone would deeply appreciate it.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of factory loaded Kynoch or RWS, can't recall which in 30-30 loaded with 190 gr. bullets..I shot a deer out of one box and it did exactly what a 30-30 ought to do. I had a real nice Savage 99 in 303, half round half oct barrel in almost new condition, sold it for $50.00, that was many moons ago. Wish I still had it. Fun gun but a tad heavy for a 14 year old, that thought the Win. 94 SRC in 25-35 was good enough for elk, bear and elephants in a pinch... faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote