New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straight to Pistol Grip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone familiar with what's required to convert a straight gripped Marlin stock to a pistol grip? I have an 1895 LTD carbine with a straight grip that isn't near as comfortable as it's big brother's pistol grip. I'm assuming some sort of re-work on the tang is required.

Thanks! beer

"...I hunt, therefore I am." James Hetfield

Posts: 174 | Location: N.E. Oregon | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I converted a '94 for a shooter in Mass back in 2002-2003, just a year or so before Marlin brought out thier pistol grip version of the 94.
I used a 336 pistol grip stock, no mods required, and made a steel spacer that fit the cavity in the wood and welded that to the lower tang. I had to saw off the little tab at the end of the straight lever and hot forge the lever into a curve to match the pistol grip. After it was recontoured, polished and blued it came out looking like new. The owner was absolutly tickeled with the results. dancing

The 95 is much easier as they are factory produced with the pistol grip stock. It will be easiest if you get a new stock & trigger plate (lower tang) and lever. Hammer, trigger, sear, screws and pins are interchangable.

Rusty

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGraff:
Anyone familiar with what's required to convert a straight gripped Marlin stock to a pistol grip? I have an 1895 LTD carbine with a straight grip that isn't near as comfortable as it's big brother's pistol grip. I'm assuming some sort of re-work on the tang is required.

Thanks! beer

Ok, three methods...

1)probably the most expensive send the rifle to Marlin and tell them what you want done and they do it and send it back (yes, they do this)

2)Cheaper and fairly easy, aquire a straight grip stock and the trigger plate and lever from a straight grip 336 or 45-70. the entire job can be done with a screwdriver.

3) a bit more difficult but definatly the cheapest... Get a take off square lever from wild west guns (they often sell them off on ebay and gun broker) and a straight grip stock
Remove the lever and stock from the subject rifle and bolt the straight grip stock to the tang...

BOTH upper and lower tangs are the same where they go into a straight grip stock but the pistol grip has a whole bunch of extra metal
where the pistol grip is, when you put a straight grip stock in place this becomes pretty obvious, that extra metal must be
removed to match the stock and clear the "square" lever.

It's kind of a PITA, but easily doable.

Frankly, if I wanted a straight grip rifle
as a truck gun and the rifle was fairly
"rough" I'd do it that way because it's quick and dirty.

Frankly, I don't like the pistol grip stocks mostly because the shape of the lever defies efforts to work them quickly with my big hands
And I like the "Big loop" levers even less.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote