Find
Notify
Tools

35 remington
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
i was wondering if the cast performance hard cast 200 grain WLNGC can be used in the marlin 336 . and if anyone is using it , what kind of velocities are you getting?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
cast performance hard cast 200 grain WLNGC

I have never tried that one, but there is a review on MidwayUSA. Just looking at it I have no reason to think that it would not, especially when seated to the crimping groove. Years ago I used to load 158 gr semi wadcutters in my fathers for him to shoot .

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A friend killed a nice elk with his own cast in one of his .35s a couple of seasons ago. My memory is that it was a 200-grain bullet at about 1950, but I cannot recall what he said about which mold it was from.
Sheesh. I'm a big help.
Tanoose, does your 336 have a MicroGroove or Ballard-rifled barrel?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
it has the micro groove barrel its 22years old manufactured in 1994. ny dad passed this year and that how i got it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The 200 grain is the standard weight for the 35. Around 2000 fps. As long as the bullet is cast hard, it will work fine. Too soft and it may give you some leading.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose , I hope you know the importance of a good bullet with microgroove rifling. A fairly hard , groove matching bullet and you'll have an accurate bullet.Make them , don't just buy them.
That's a great old deer/bear cartridge here in the Catskills ! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my best luck with Marlins with a bullet that fills the throat, even it's a couple thou over bore size. I am no expert by any means.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
i have 5 boxes of reloads i need to test first using the speer 220 grain bullets with imr 3031/h4198 and varget i also have a couple of boxes of the 200 grain sierras to reload as soon as i get more brass.i was interested in the cast performance bullets for the 35 because i had great results using there bullets in my 45/70's this rifle has had good accuracy with all the 200 grain factory loads rem,fed and win all keeping all in a 1 inch circle at 50 yards and the average velocity on the crony was 1960 fps.my dad liked the flex tip as i think they were the most accurate, but i dont care for the flex tip bullets in any caliber i'll pick up a box of the CP bullets and let you guys know how they shoot. probibly this spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My experience with cast boolits in micro-groove rifling is a GC boolit that is .002 oversize and fairly soft, i.e. wheelweight soft, with a max velocity of 1700 fps.

With a good lube, leading should not be a problem and accuracy will depend on tweaking your load to your rifle.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen several animals shot with lead bullets, and its a practice with some..What I noted over the years its just like shooting an animal with a solid..I have shot a number of animals with solids, and it killed them but in some cases they sure made a lot of tracks..I have seen the same results wit flat nose keith lead bullets, sometimes the kill well and sometimes even deer make long runs and I mean long runs..To each his own on the subject, its legal in some states on not in others.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote