THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    1895SS Rifling & Model Designation Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895SS Rifling & Model Designation Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been trying to figure out when the 1895SS became just plain 1895, when Marlin switched from MicroGroove to Ballard rifling, and if the model designation corresponds to that change.

From looking through old Gun Digest, Shooters Bible, and Gun Traders Guides (of which I don't have consectuive years of publication) and a spotty collection of Marlin catalogs, my best guess is that both the rifling type and name change occurred in 2001 (2000 models 1895SS w/MicroGroove; 2001's were 1895 w/Ballard) and that rifling and model designation are related.

Can someone please tell me if I'm correct and, if not, what the real deal is? Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote