THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    What are the most popular lever guns for restocking??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the most popular lever guns for restocking??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im looking for your opinions on what lever guns are the most popular and likely candidates for restocking . Our company is making stocks for other popular guns and are looking at lever gun models to add to our line of stocks.

Thank you in advance for the advice.
regards,
LUX

Posts: 205 | Location: Mt . Orab OHIO | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Original Winchesters in need of rebuilding would be my first guess. The Model 94 comes to mind. The modern Winchesters made in Japan seem to come with some nice wood but you offer awesome wood to those in the market for it and the finish you put on your stocks is more attractive.

After that modern Marlins in need of an cosmetic upgrade would be the next largest market, probably the 1894 pistol cartridge carbines. The cowboy shooters seem to be anxious to have handsome guns for their game. A stock with a higher comb would be nice for those who use their Marlin's with scopes.

I guess the other thing to do is check with the likes of Doug Turnbull to see if you can source the primo wood for his masterpieces. Maybe even Brockman or Wild West Guns have a few clients who want something special instead of the working guns those outfits usually put together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 92's are asked about a lot.
the 95's from win are too.
and the 94's.
probabaly the older marlins next.
i see a lot of q's about carbine type stocks for the newer 92 rifles.
to replace the crescent cut.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in modern 1886 pistol grip stocks with a shotgun butt. These Miroku rifles are crying out for some good wood.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not enough demand (but I'd buy several) but the Savage 99 is famous for cracking stocks around that long tang.

After that I think Marlin 336, modern 1894 stocks would be good sellers. I'd buy some of them too.

The problem with all the older/antique/semi-antique guns is that to attempt to be original the wood needs to be black walnut, not Turkish.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Most popular may not be your best direction as there are already companies specializing in replacement wood.

Levers in general are largely viewed as utilitarian, not many late production 336's and 94's are secondarily adorned with upgraded stocks.

The current restoration work by Turnbull and others being the exception rather than the rule.( and these mostly appear to be the large frame winchesters)

For your high quality wood (at least what I have seen of your products) , I would think you might wish to pursue the levers that are most commonly aftermarket adorned .

That being the newer style levers that are adorned and the older ones that are abused beyond original condition collector status and are now being restored.

My thoughts run to BLR, Savage, Sako, Winchester 88, New Repro-1895's, Older Winchesters 1886, 1895, 1876, 1873,1892, 1894 1892, Older Marlins-1894, 1895.

Less commonly the "modern" 336's and 1894's.
Though some of the new "cowboy action" gun owners truly like fancy wood.

HTH

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I would say the Puma in 454, the forstock and the butstock on my sixteen inch rifle are not that great.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1886 Winchester

posted Hide Post
I would suggest the Savage 99, most butt-stocks have problems, working on my second one now.

Regards

Eric P

Posts: 15 | Location: Mead, Colorado | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All ,

thankyou for the feed back . I appreciate the help. Have had some requests for the Savage 99. Will post here when we start making the lever stocks.

Gatogordo hope your doing well.

Thank you ,
LUX

Posts: 205 | Location: Mt . Orab OHIO | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

Look like a spotlight blank you've seen before? Havent done much to it but its one the wife wants to see finished...94 Winchester with Luxus wood. Need to find a couple more parts first.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now your talkin! Nice wood!!!

I would go for AAA Claro, Turkish, and possibly maple on both of my Marlins and my Ruger #1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
srtrax,

that blank turned really well. Makes the spot light blanks looks like a real bargain.

Nice looking stocks.

LUX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get a pistol grip stock for a Marlin 336/1895 that is slim like the Cowboy Competition models instead of the bulky stocks they come with. I could always trim down the factory wood but if i have to do the work anyway I would prefer a nicer piece of wood. I would also like a higher, straighter comb and a large shotgun style butt to spread out recoil.
Keith

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Winchester 92 pattern - for the PUMA rifles.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
an odd choice, perhaps, but the Chaparral Model of 1876's are coming thru with a film coating on firewood. About all of them I have seen here are in my gunsmith's shop getting restocked with nice wood.

jut a thought

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1886 and 1895 Winchesters, or their Browning twins.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
Win. 94, Marlin 1895 & 336

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
I vote heavy for the 1886, I run with a group of guys that are big in the 1886's. They all are interested in custom wood.

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote