THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Rossi M92 Puma sighting problems!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rossi M92 Puma sighting problems!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So after I bought my new 44mag m92 I tried to see where it was shootg and at 35 yards it was about a foot high. After a adjuted my rear sight as much as possible I still am shooting 6 or 7 inches high! ...and 3 inches to the left.
The customer service at Rossi is proving to be a pain in the butt to reason with. They don't think they should have anything to do with fixing the brand new gun I bought from them that they made and isn't any good without accurate sights! I did shoot 1/2" groups with it, but they just were not in the right spot.

Does anyone know where I can get a good front sight from before hunting season is over?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May not be all that big a problem to solve. I am assuming you have open barrel mnt. rear sight with step adjustments upward and based on what you said still shooting high. If you have bottomed out the rear sight, that leaves the front sight. Again, assuming the front sight blade is in a dovetail easy to remove and replace with higher front sight blade which will drive the bullet impact lower. Look up Brownells supply house or give them a call and have the height measurement of your current front sight blade and they will advise you a replacement which will most likely solve the problem. Windage issue simply by drifting the front or the rear to correct. As you probably know, front sight "drifts" opposite of rear to obtain results. You will find Brownells to be very helpfull and their catalog gives full details on how to measure for this problem. Factory folks just never seem to have the time to help out when you need them is my experience.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I could not hit a bullet in the butt with the factory sights on my Rossi 92, 45 Colt.
I put another sight, got it from Dillon's Blue Press and did fine.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Steve's guns--- has both front and rear sites. Also kits for action jobs.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/in...kb5nfuk3s5qorufc7en7

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varminator,
My Puma M92 .480 Ruger has the same problem. The fiber optic sights look cool, but the rear one is a piece of crap. It is so long from the dovetail to the back, that you can move the v- notch side to side with your fingers enough to move the shot 24" at 100yds. Mine also shoots 10" high at 100 with the rear sight all the way down.

Buckeyeshooter made a great reference to Steve's Gun site, who has a peep sight to replace the stupid Democratic safety on the firing pin. I am going to try one of those. I am also having Wild West Guns make one of their scout scope bases, to mount where the original rear sight was.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turns out after I bought a sight from Brownells after they reasured me that the sight would fit they don't have any front sights that fit not only is the dovetail to small but I ordered the tallest one and it was still to short.
So i went to "stevesgunz.com" which is the only place I will go from now on for anything I need to make my Rossi 92 how I want! I got right front sight however it is still a little to loose so i have to figure out the best way to have it fit snug enough not to worry about it.

Any suggestions??

-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
Varminator,
My Puma M92 .480 Ruger has the same problem. The fiber optic sights look cool, but the rear one is a piece of crap. It is so long from the dovetail to the back, that you can move the v- notch side to side with your fingers enough to move the shot 24" at 100yds. Mine also shoots 10" high at 100 with the rear sight all the way down.

Buckeyeshooter made a great reference to Steve's Gun site, who has a peep sight to replace the stupid Democratic safety on the firing pin. I am going to try one of those. I am also having Wild West Guns make one of their scout scope bases, to mount where the original rear sight was.
ND

Yes, I saw that peep sight and will be buying one from stevessgunz.com as soon as have this fron sight deal finished!

-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The groove for the pin, was too big in the peep sight base. The base is round, so I cut a new groove on the other side that was a little smaller and higher on the base. This allowed the pin to suck it down tight against the bolt. The first 2 shots touched in the bullseye at 50yds. Problem solved.
I was able to get a scout scope base from Steve's as well. I will get it mounted by my gunmaker next week.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great job! enjoy it!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had JJ Perodeau mount the scout scope base Friday. Do not try this at home!!! Due to the diameter of the .480 Ruger (.475), we could only drill deep enough to catch 2 threads on the 4 screws. I emailed Legacy Arms and confirmed that it would be safe, if we didn't go deeper than the dovetail for the rear sight. Tapping the holes was absolute HELL! The stainless barrel was so hard that it was chipping off as we started tapping each hole. JJ kept sharpening his tap and was able to get the job done.
It came out real nice, but I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you are good friends with a very good gunbuilder. I am going to mount a Leupold FX 2.5x IER scope.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE