Find
Notify
Tools

92 Lever
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I just picked up a '92 saddle ring carbine in 44-40 from a local gun shop, my original intention was to get a cheap rough gun and do a full custom job on it ( undecided now ) with 1/2 round / octagon barrel in 38-40, ( I prefer 40 cals ) fancy wood, 1/2 mag and 64/65 style pistol grip...now that I have the rifle, its five digit serial number tells me it was made in 1894, so I'm not so sure about cutting it up.
Condition...bulged barrel, split timbers, otherwise reasonable.
Questions...Would I be destroying a potentially valuable or historic rifle? ( I believe its been refinished as the blue is immaculate )
...If its nothing special, can I buy/ trade/ acquire a 64/65 style curved lever and will it fit?

Roger

advertising pic from gun shop

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
64; No; the 64 was a 94 action.
65: Yes; the 65 was a 92 in 218 Bee. Of course you will need a curved lower tang and stock but you know that.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mis matched wood, bulged barrel, re-blued.

go crazy.
you couldn't possibly make it less of a shooter or collector item.

it really hurt me to just type that.
I've been looking for a decent 92 in 38-40 for years.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The action seems in really good shape, the lever has very little sideways movement, I can't believe its that old!...not bad for $300 AU.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You stole it. From some poor widow no doubt!

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Damn! I've been found out.....actually it was on a gunshops online sales and I was expecting something old and rusty and pretty rough, the bloke I dealt with on the phone said he knew nothing about old guns so that was probably a bonus!

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that low serial number is first year of production, but you need to determine that first and foremost..

The 92 was popular in 44-40 and 38-40 in its day, the other calibers came later, 32-20, 25-20, 218 Bee and never were overly popular with the light calibers probably because the old timers were still hanging on to black powder..

I personally would try to restore it to as close to original as possible if the bore is decent..The butt stock is correct for a saddle ring carbine as is the rest or the gun, crescent butt stocks are for rifles, not carbines, not saying Winchester would make a special anyway you wanted it, and that can be confusing at times, but your gun is good on that count as I see it..Good purchase at any rate..

I have a mod 92 rifle 26" oct barrel in 38-40 serial no. 178 that Im putting in the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame in Texas. I will have a lot of new brass, loaded ammo with new Starline brass, dies etc for sale in the near future btw if anyone has an interest..

Grandad shot and killed a notorious bank robber with this gun between Presidio and Marfa Texas after his gang had robbed the Presidio bank. Interesting story of awesome shooting under stress! He described this to my mother in a letter and the letter and documentation goes to the museum also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my mind, this would be a restoration project...The receiver has had an unfortunate acquaintance with a buffing wheel...but most likely can be "crisped up"

New wood, if needed, is readily available at reasonable cost. New barrel or maybe sleeve old barrel if lettering isn't too washed out..and...even if washed out, a good engraver can restore .

Good luck...let us know what you decide

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I am a bit dubious that I have the serial number correct...L52975...Is that an "L", the letter L is on the online ad and on the paper work...am I correct with the serial number or is the L another number?
The rifle has a ladder rear sight and brass blade front, is marked " 44 WCF " and the printing on the barrel is very clear.

Is there any way of finding the history on this rifle, apparently the style with the button mag is a typical Australian model.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never saw or heard of a letter prefix for a 92...But button mags are rare.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Could be a " 1 " ?...would make it a '96-'97 model.

Aussie '92s

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody or the factory restored and customized that gun may explain the L letter or call to Win might clear that up..Also the serial number does not look right as its a protusion as opposed to a stamp or poor photography? Possible the L might make the gun more collectors valuable???..

I vote to restore and that will increase the value more than anything else if done properly..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
No, it's definitely stamped, just an optical illusion of the photograph.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the ones in NZ are also button mag / half mag versions too. They used to sell Winchesters in Australia branded as Daisy rifles (1873's), or New Daisy Rifles (1892's).

Someone might have stamped the 1 upside down.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
...possibly...does anyone have a pic of a '92 serial number with a "1" in it?

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before committing big money and effort refurbishing this rifle I would suggest you have an 1892 expert collector review the serial number and it’s implied build date with the markings and other features of the rifle (eg font style for the period) to confirm the authenticity of the serial number.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions where to find someone?

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d send an email to Michael Puzio at "2bitrifles at gmail dot com".

He seems to know his stuff.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an odd question with no intent to hijack this thread. I would like to find a lever action shooter in one of the older calibers (i.e. .32-20, .38-40 etc). Where would I look? PM is ok.

Thanks, Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1056 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll drop him a line and see what he has to say

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
OK, I contacted Michael Puzio and he very promptly returned my Email with the reply below...

...so going on his advice I'll tart the old girl up!!
It appears this rifle was made in the 1900's...not bad for her age...

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a quick reply and good feedback.

Best of luck with the project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question I have a Win mod 92 rifle with a 1 in it #178, today its in my nephews suburban headed for Texas and the Texas Ranger Museum long with Papas colt 45 and a ton of documentation. The stamp is just a regular 1..Guess I will be looking for a shooter to clean up and play with..Maybe in 45 Long colt..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Just an odd question with no intent to hijack this thread. I would like to find a lever action shooter in one of the older calibers (i.e. .32-20, .38-40 etc). Where would I look? PM is ok.

Thanks, Mike

Gunauction, Gunbroker, Guns America. Post a WTB ad here..

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would first go on Guns International, to Winchester firearms, Mod 92...Lots of them out there and at some pretty rich pricing..A local in Twin Falls hasa minty 92 src. I offered him $3500 and he felt insulted!! shocker So I offered him $4500 and he got nice again, but no sale.. Cool

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120