New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cimarron Rifles ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Received their catalog and was impressed with the photos. The one that really caught my eye was the 1873 45 Colt with the 36" barrel.
Anyone here have any experience with their products ?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I own a Uberti 1866 (very close in design) in 44-40 that I use in cowboy action shooting. I have used it 4 years with very few problems.... none that were the fault of the gun. The Cimarron is made by Uberti and imported by that company. They are a good rifle. Be aware that Winchester is now making a .45 colt version of the 73, just not with that long of a barrel. Also, Henry is selling the 1860 in 44-40 now and my guess is a .45 Colt will be available down the line.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I contacted Henry arms , Wanted to order a gun with a 26" barrel don't and won't make a gun with that long a barrel .
I have a lever Uberti 45 LC 1866 MDL a Fine piece from Cabela's . Order from them save some money .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela has no 1873s with 36" barrels on their website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metalbeater:
Received their catalog and was impressed with the photos. The one that really caught my eye was the 1873 45 Colt with the 36" barrel.
Anyone here have any experience with their products ?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Cimarron does not make their own firearms, but imports arms they have ordered to their specs. If don't recall who makes arms for them, but I would guess Uberti, Chiappa or Armi San Marco.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt is correct. Cimarron is only an importer, not a manufacturer.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Cabela's will order what you want ! you must fill out a order form and wait till they get in in , I picked up my rifle from Hamburg PA , The wait ! 4 weeks . Barrel marked Stoger/Uberti , Cimarron is only a importer , They all come from Europe .

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Importer, yes, BUT, the makers make whatever quality level and finish that the importer wants. Cimarrons are the best. I have a 66, and one of their SAA clones, a friend has that 36 inch 73 you asked about. They all come from Italy but the quality is not all the same. Most of Cimarrons are Uberti made.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
quote:
They all come from Italy but the quality is not all the same.

You are correct ! I purchased gun back in 78 for project while attending Gun school from a well known importer in NJ , [Junk] The frame holes were off ,The barrel was down and off to 7PM ,The gun should have been melted down and remade! I received an A+ for the project of cutting the lower frame and welding it timing, and bluing , shot dead center . Stay away from NJ importer !

Don't take the chip !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Link to Buffalo Arms.... 30 inch barrel, 45 colt, manufactured by Uberti and imported by Cimarron.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Fir...158926.aspx?CAT=3934

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Cimarron model 1892 saddle ring carbine (45 colt) back in July. Still waiting. I was told I could be waiting up to 18 months total. BUT, from what I've read, the Cimarron rifles are well made and quite pretty! The actual mfr. remains a mystery, though. Can't tell if it will be Uberti, Ciappa, or another.
Can't wait!!

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Cimarron rifles are Uberti and are the best quality. US Henry; please; those are not historic and are just a Marlin design ripoff. I mean copy. If you get one, don't think you have a historic Henry design. I shoot with people who have them, and think that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Big Boy is a poor semi marlin copy correct. However, the 1860 is a pretty good reproduction with the exception on converting the 44 RIMFIRE, which is long out of production to 44-40 Winchester. Perhaps with your distaste for Henry .... you did not go to the booth at the Shot Show or have not taken the time to look at the updated product line?
At any rate, they do not offer a 30 inch barrel length.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are right; they do make a "Henry" which is similar to an original Henry. Good for them to finally do that. I did not know that and have never seen one in Cowboy action shooting. True, since I have no interest in the so called "Henry" rifles, I did not bother to check for new products. Having said that, they seem to work fine. I still will go with Cimarrons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cimarron marked Pedersoli Billy Dixon Model Sharps 1874 replica. The Billy Dixon is listed as having a oil finish at extra cost and my rifle has this. Other than that it is a normal Pedersoli rifle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
MickyJ:
I have a Cimarron 1892 takedown in 45LC, very nice gun, color case harden receiver, oct. bbl
nice action, I have turned down 1200.00 dollars for it. They are hard to come by.
Respectfully,
The Senator

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for my Cimmaron model 1892 saddle ring carbine. We're now at 11 months with no word yet on delivery.

:-(

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 36inch barreled 45 colt with a 250 at 800fps or so would be a very quite fire arm to shoot.

Sounds interisting

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeyJ:
I ordered a Cimarron model 1892 saddle ring carbine (45 colt) back in July. Still waiting. I was told I could be waiting up to 18 months total. BUT, from what I've read, the Cimarron rifles are well made and quite pretty! The actual mfr. remains a mystery, though. Can't tell if it will be Uberti, Ciappa, or another.
Can't wait!!

Hi all, I finally received my Cimarron Model 1892 (.45 Colt)! It's actually made by Chiappa and nowhere on the rifle do the words "Cimarron Arms" appear. With that out of the way, let me say the gun is absolutely beautiful! It's very well made, has a smooth action, and is true in every way to the original. Mine is a 20" saddle ring carbine. The bluing is gorgeous and the walnut is beautiful! No fancy grain patterns, just a nice, straight grained couple of pieces of walnut that match! It's exactly what I was hoping for. I put a few factory loads through it on the weekend (Magtech 250 grain bullet). Spot on accurate right out of the box! Chiappa recommends cleaning from the breach end, so I used my Otis "cable" to clean the bore. I waited over a year for this rifle and it was well worth it!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Senator:
MickyJ:
I have a Cimarron 1892 takedown in 45LC, very nice gun, color case harden receiver, oct. bbl
nice action, I have turned down 1200.00 dollars for it. They are hard to come by.
Respectfully,
The Senator

Senator,
I cleaned mine with a cable from the breech end, but if I want to run a rod through, how do I remove the breech bolt on this gun?
Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you got a 92 and it says Chiappa, it isn't a Cimarron; all the guns I have ever got from them are marked as such. All the lever actions I have from Cimarron were made by Uberti. Maybe Cimarron is selling Chiappas now; I don't know.
92s are not hard to take apart; look on the net and find disassembly instructions for a Win 92; you have to remove the bolt/lever pin by punching it out of the frame; there is a hole for that, and remove the locking bolts. The hardest part on a 92 is the ejector which is compressed when installing the lever back into the bolt with the pin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's definitely from Cimarron - that's who the dealer ordered it from and an Owner Notice sheet that came with the gun is from Cimarron.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well, I learned something; Cimarron is indeed selling Chiappa guns; they needed some lower cost guns as the Ubertis were getting too expensive. Chiappas are not the same quality as Uberti, although most will work ok.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I agree. I have a Uberti and the Chiappa's quality on the '92 is as good or better. And I wouldn't exactly say $1100 is lower cost. Anyway, to each his own! I'm pretty happy, and I'm not easy to please!

posted Hide Post
I have a uberti 1873 in 44/40 with 30
' barrel shoots great.