THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Favorite hunting bullet for 45-70?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite hunting bullet for 45-70?
 Login/Join

posted
What's you favorite bullet to load into a 45-70 for medium game hunting? I'm looking for a whitetail/hog load. I was thinking the Barnes TSX 300gn as this is strictly a hunting rifle so the cost doesn't bother me much. I've also heard the Hornady 300gn HPs work well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
405 cast lead.
see one work and you'll not go back to anything else.
nice clean 45 hole.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
300 grain Nosler partition.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that the typical 300 JHP was too fragile. I then switched to the Win Partition - much better !Barnes is apparently similar. Corbon, in their DPX line, loads the all copper Barnes .

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my Ruger No1 I have killed deer with the Sierra 300gr bullet, the original FP and the later HP, the Sierra 400gr and the Hornady 350RN. I like the 350 Hornady RN the best.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
+1 for the hornady 350 grain rn.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hornady 300 HP have gained my respect... some 60 boars harvested upto now with it (one shot each) - weighing from 150 to 300 lbs

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far I've been happy with 400 gr Speer FN for moose. Also shot one with a 420 gr hard-cast. Both worked quite well and normally drop the animals on spot. Velocity for both on muzzle around 1800 fps.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
430gr Laser-Cast gascheck...will do 2000fps out of several here in SW Idaho and sub-2moa at 200yds.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this does not answer your question, but have you tried the Hornady Lever Revolution ammo? As much as I hate to admit it, my Ruger number 1 likes it better than anything ( my handloads or factory ) that I have tried to date. I purchased one box last season, we used 11 to sight in 3 rifles, and then killed 9 deer between us that were all one shot kills. Ranges from about 40 yards out to 210.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The 300 grain Hornady hollow point is entirely adequate. The Barnes 300 grain TSX and Nosler 300 grain Partition Protected Point, while great bullets, probably aren't needed for just hogs and whitetails.

The .458" 300 grain Speer UniCor hollow point #2482 is a very good bullet for whitetails and hogs. Load it over 55 to 60 (Maximum) grains of H4198.

The 405 grain Remington JSP loaded 1300 to 1900 fps would also work.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 grain Hornady RN worked well for me.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 4 bullets;

300 gr sierra FNHP
405 Rem Softs
400 Gr Speer Flats
405 Gr woodleigh's

all have worked well although the woodleigh's are in a different leauge and are for larger tougher game.

I would like to try the 250 gr X bullet if it's still made oneday. and the 325 gr Hornady evolution.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am sort of a one load for one rifle guy. I try to develop a load that will meet all my needs with the particular rifle. My 300 grain Nosler Partition performed well with game from Bison down to feral hogs. wave

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill, one load for everything. I work up a load for the toughest animal the gun will be used for. I am not a fan of the hollow points, but they would probably work fine on whitetails and hogs. My load is the 350 gr. Hornady FP @ 1800 fps.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the Hornady 350 RN.
2 Weeks ago they took 2 Canadian Black Bears. 7'10" and 8'1". Loaded to 2100 fps.

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22Rimfire:
My favorite is the Hornady 350 RN.
2 Weeks ago they took 2 Canadian Black Bears. 7'10" and 8'1". Loaded to 2100 fps.

How did the hornady 350 gr RN perform at that velocity?Did it break up?Was penetration good?
Thanks,ray

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Never saw any need for a jacketed bullet in the 45-70. Seems sort of counter traditional.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EricJulsrud
posted Hide Post
405 grain Lee Cast RNHB out of WW alloy
Loaded to 1475fps out of a 22inch NEF Handi-Rifle. Sub-Inch groups at 100yds.

Cheap and deadly!
Why switch?

"He who dies with the most toys wins!"

Posts: 29 | Location: Eastern Oregon, USA | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In about 2 weeks I will be casting my own 350gr. LBT LFN bullets for my newly acquired 1895 Marlin.

Really looking forward to shooting this thing. The local gun shops are very limited on reloading supplies and ammo for the 45-70, so I figured I would make my own bullets.

I'll need to start hustling more wheel weights, since I am down to about 200 lbs.

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after shooting into wetpack I will load ONLY the Noslers
as "warshots" for game.

I'll keep using the 300gr hornady's for practice because they shoot to the same POI as the Noslers in my rifle

But the difference in wet phone books is hard to argue with,
almost twice the penetration at the same velocity
and they all stayed together, occasionally the core will seperate from a hornady (I never tested the sierras)

Are the Noslers "necissary" for deer? No, probably not
But I won't have to resight or reload for anything bigger
where that penetration MAY be necissary.

and the cost of bullets actually expended on game is trivial

I spend more on 6oz bags of trail mix ($2.29 each) and jerkey(If I've run out of homemade stuff) for any given day than I do on "premium" bullets for the same hunt....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HL:

Yep, I figure conservatively that you've only got enough wheel wts. for about 3600 bullets or so, you better get to hustling.... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a 400 - 500 grain hardcast bullet at velocities of 1400-1500 fps. Nothing stops them!

KDM Custom Bullets

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington factory 405 softs works great on whitetail, and my Guide Gun will shoot the Winchester Nosler 300 gr Partition under two inches at 100...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hustling indeed. Smiler I also cast a lot of bullets for my 44 mag.

If it was only for the 45-70, I would say that I had plenty to keep a shoulder sore for quite a while.

BTW, I found a pretty accurate load using 46.5 grains of IMR 4198 that groups right at 1" at 100yds. Now, I'm just waiting until my vacation comes up the first week of December to get some deer and hogs. clap

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever you decide, don't try the Hornady Lever revolution ammo.

It really hurt my feelings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady 350 grain round nose works great on hogs.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
I use the Lee 405 gr HB cast soft,run thru a 45 pistol (.452") sizer, and paper patched with 2 wraps of 8 lb onionskin paper. Lee liquid alox rubbed into the paper waterproofs them. At 1800 fps, it's like The Fist of God.