Tools

Re: Model 71 .348Win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
GordM,

Check your PM

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may also want to look at the 71 as a platform for any number of other calibers including most notable the 450 Alaskan. I have just recieved my 450 barrel from MRC after a few months and a problem with the first barrel. The dies are very expensive but the outcome will be worthwhile and a very fine DGR capable of taking anything that walks.
I have found 348 brass in the classifieds and by asking in several different gunshops while travelling.
If you would prefer to sell it I would appreciate a PM as I am next looking to put together a 50 Alaskan.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hi GordM,
I can only imagine that someone thought very highly of you to give you this fine rifle. The 71 came in standard grade and deluxe, the latter having checkering and sling swivels. Depending on the condition this is a desirable and valuable Winchester. You should be able to pick up some reasonably priced ammo at Old Western Scrounger, Ammo Depot, or just watch the ammo section of Auction Arms or Gunbroker.com for .348 Win. Your rifle was made in 1954, I hesitate to place a value on your rifle but based on several books it can range (depending on grade and condition) from $500 to $1500, however keep in mind that although we have reference books they don't have any money, so your rifle is worth what someone is willing to pay, and what you are willing to sell it for. Good luck and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
GordM,
Old Western Scrounger has brass at $53.00 per 100, dies at $38.20 and loaded 200gn's bullets at $36.00. Again take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I to had problems with MRC. I had a new Browning 71 re-done to 450 Alaskan by them. Took two returns to get the gun in shooting shape. Second return, the gun came back in a dangerous condition. They finally got it fixed on the third try. This is all old business and I thought they had corrected their in-house problems. Sounds from your post, they havn't.

Sold the Browning, bad mistake, and would like to do another 450 AK.

I have a trade offer to this post and hopefully it will come about. If not, best of luck to the current owner. He's a lucky fellow.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cordell,

Not to worry, I'm not about to hawk a family heirloom here.

I came about this rifle from a fellow who came by it from another fellow and so on. Reason it was givin' to me is because once mandatory firearm registration came about in Canada the previous owner was unable to register because he didn't hold a Possesion & Aquisition licence. Rather than risk illegal possesion of firearms or surrender it to the police he chose to give it to me.

This .348 is a dust collector in my safe and I would be much happier selling it and putting the proceeds towards a good varmint rifle that I would actually use and could afford to shoot.

Nonetheless thanks for the info and also letting me know to check out the auction sites.

BTW this rifle does not have checkering but the sling swivels do appear factory.

Thanks,

GordM

Posts: 76 | Location: Calgary, AB | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually when done correctly the 450 Alaskan can be returned
to 348 very easily with only the stock needing to be replaced.
Mine has the 1/2 Oct. Barrel and since I got it with a Williams sight, I am leaving it rather than changing.
I await the photos to decide on the purchase.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do agree with you in regard the bigger gun. Unfortunately in the Lever rifle there aren't any to be had.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
My model 71 still retains 97-98% finish throughout.All the win. man. marks still on barrel,original to the core.If it dant stop em,I'll buy a bigger gun.Actually that theory even holds with me and modern guns.I believe if you got to but something,and right away ackley it,buy the bigger one to begin with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GordM,

Very good pictures. Wish I had the same computer skills you have.

You should post them at the thread you have running.

Great looking 71. Shouldn't have any problem selling for what your asking. This gun left alone is a fine hunting rig. I don't think I would 450 AK it.

If you don't sell, the trade offer is still on the table.

Good luck with your 71.

Roger QSL

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent you an E-mail to confirm my purchase of the rifle.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gord,for your brass
www.wholesalesports.com
Out of Edmonton

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms has Win brass for $48/100. I've found BA's service to be quite reliable. The selection of bullets could be better, though.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote