Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lever actions in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rog - You have been at the baboon cabage again - wanting to do a hunt with ME

Of cource a hunt can be put together for a buff in Zim with just about whatever rifle you/the client wishes to bring. I have shot both ele and buff with 7.62 nato rounds and would happily take out a client after ele with one - Provided they could shoot like a dream, didn't get buck fever and were prepared to accept that there are some situations when there is no shot, when if they were armed with a .375 that ele would be tusks on the wall. (I wouldn't let a client try a .308 on buff). The same rules apply to taking a buff with a .45-70.

If you are not going to be demanding about the trophy (because murphy dictates that the only 40+" bull we'll see will be at 100 yards) or present a quatering shot with the vitals covered by the horn etc), and accept that if you bungle the shot that the buff is going to run away and then I want you with something more effective for the follow up.

As a general rule I do not believe in backing up clients - you shoot your animals and you wound it an loose it thats hunting. I find the animal but only shoot if somebody is likely to get stood on (principally me).

Having used a Martini Henry for much of my early hunting I am well aware of what a large lump of lead moving at moderate velocities can achieve. I also know the limitations. A good , classic heart/lung shot at under 40 yards and a .44 mag revolver or Martini is fine. As the angle changes or you are pushed into a frontal shot situation - no way. The .45-70 with modern loads in a marlin or 1886 is way better than a Martini and the margins increase appropriatly. I suspect that it would actually be fine for a frontal on a buff but not having tried it...

Read Taylors comments on the 10.75 Mauser and you will understand why the .45-70 cannot be considered an "all Round" african rifle. It cannot stop an ele/hippo/rhino on frontal and might be marginal on buff.

Also though - book for July/August. I cannot understand why, but english rifles always shoot 6" high when they arrive here and many American loads are way OTT pressure wise in the hot season. Southern Deserts of the USA must get as hot as here but I see too many factory standard rounds that give problems - all Weatherby .460 factory ammo, Horniday heavy magnum ammo in .458 Win, Some "sledgehammer"? 45-70 loads that wouldn't extract in a Ruger No 1 that a client had this year...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote