THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Mjolnir is ready for the woods...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mjolnir is ready for the woods...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took the XS scout scope mount and Leupold Scout Scope off Mjolnir - my blue steel, ported Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun. The sight-line was too high for a proper cheek-weld. It now wears only a Lyman receiver sight and the shortest available Marbles fiber optic bead. It points like a bird gun and I like the sight set-up so far. It's a sort of combination poor man's red dot sight and rangefinder. The bead subtends 6 inches at fifty yards. A commercially cast lead 405 gr @ ~1300 fps strikes under the center of the bead at 25 yards and under the top half of the bead at 50. More trigger time will tell me if the slow heavies will land under the bead at 100 yards where it will subtend 12 inches. If so I can hold center and call it venison. If the deer is smaller than the 12 minute bead it's too far away. Next weekend all my shots will be 60 yards or less so Mjolnir is ready for the woods. I bought some 420 gr LBTs with which to build serious looking hunting loads when time permits, but the handful of 405 flat-nose handloads I have left will be plenty to fill my doe tags. Now for more a little more archery practice and some range time to file in the final elevation on the rear sight of my fusil.