THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Marlin 1895 aperture sights/lever mods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 aperture sights/lever mods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Half a day with a hacksaw and drill will shorten your barrel and the best thing is you don't have to give your gun to a shipper. Whack it off where you want it, square it up and campher the outside edge with a mill file. Then chuck a carriage bolt in your drill and put a square of coarse emmory cloth between it and the bbl and grind a campher. I use several sizes of bolts and maybe round head screws on small calibers until I get the shape I want want then polish the same way using finer and finer grades of emory.

Posts: 247 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at doing the same thing with my Guide gun. In the Midway catolog, there are several sights made by Marbles. Marbles is a very old sight company, but I dont know anyone who has used one. Anyone had experiance with these?

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put Brockman's ghost ring and Tritium front sight on my Marlin .45-70 Guide gun and really like the set up. Tried the Ashley, but didn't care for the front blade, and didn't think the rear ghost was protected enough. FWIW.

Posts: 108 | Location: corner of walk and don't walk | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
Look around for a redfield peep sight,they haven't made them for a while but they are out there on ebay or the other auctions.

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Brockman's Third Generation Peep sight on a Marlin for a while. When I sold the rifle, I kept the sight. Send me a PM with an offer if you want it. Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxman, I bought the 22"barreled 1895MR 450 Marlin just a couple of weeks ago, just picked it up the other night, after the 10 day waiting period. I've got the Ashley Scout Scope Mount on my 1895G with a 2.75x Burris Scout Scope, and the Wild West Guns Peep sight W/fiber optic front bead. WWG's front bead is too tall for what I wanted but still works. With the 450 Marlin I figgured the best trajectory was with it zeroed at 150 Yards. This put the peep sight almost out of adjustment range. With a slightly shorter front sight it will be a lot better, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

With this new Marlin, I ordered a Leupold M8 4x33 matt scope from Primere Reticles with a 4a reticle, and Talley's screw type quick release rings and bases. I was hoping to use the Talley Peep sight that mounts to the rear scope base when the scope was removed. But Talley told me they're out of production on them for awhile. So I'll have to wait on that part, but it should be a nice set-up when finished.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote