posted
I found this on Wideopenspaces.com -

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...s-henry-rifles-best/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are good rifles because they are only a copy of the well proven, Marlin 336 action. I just wish they had picked some name other than "Henry", which has nothing to do with the original Henry design. One of my CB shooting buddies proudly showed us his new "Henry", saying, "Look, I got a new Henry, just like they used in the Old West". I replied, "No you don't". and proceeded to explain the differences. He was unhappy to realize he had been mis-led.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
No Truth in Advertising? Eeker

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crshelton,
I now own three Henrys, one a Big Boy 45-70 and a 22 mag and 22 LR, both with octagon barrels. All are fantastic rifles. The 22 LR will shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yard with Blazer ammo. Still experimenting with different ammo in the 22 mag but it is shooting better than 1 inch at 50 yards. Just haven't had the time to find its favorite ammo yet.
Previously I owned two Marlin 45-70s and one 39A. None were as accurate or as slick as the Henrys are out of the box. Had problems with both of the Marlin 45-70's not feeding correctly and never could find ammo that shot well out of the .22 LR.
Next on the list will be a Henry 44 mag.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Actually, the 1860 reproduction is very close to the original Henry. Frankly, it is the only one of the centerfires that will be competitve in CAS. The Big Boys look like a nice hunting rifle with the understanding they will be significantly heavier than a marlin or winchester 94. The 45/70 version does not handle as well as a winchester 86 or 71 in the heavyweight category.
I have a 22 and it shoots well,although its not as well finished as a 'real' marlin 39. But at 1/2 the price it is worth the money.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To compare the Henry Big Boy in 45-70 to the 1886 is like apples to oranges. Yes, I think the 1886 is a nicer rifle but it also cost a lot more. I own one of the Miroku's and like it. Classic lines and feel and it is quality in and out. I had to get my local smith to recut the throat longer because from the factory it basically didn't have one. It also needs a nice recoil pad.

The Henry is ready to go with a factory installed ghost sight and decent pad. Plus they are easy to scope.

Both have there placeSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote