New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 71
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone seen the new model 71 on the shelf that Winchester is advertising? Pics look identical to the unit produced by Browning a decade ago.
Wish they would come out with a original "deluxe replica" with checkering, sling swivels with the wide swivel. Perhaps a grade up in wood quality. I like the deep blue like the original. IMHO Browning should have foregone the nickel finish on the grade 2 model and stayed true to the original.
A deluxe offering true to the original with a bolt peep and nice wood would sell like hot cakes if they kept the shelf price below $1,200.00.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt they are a quality version of the original 71, but do not care for that tang safety/hammer/trigger arrangement on the latest Winchester offerings. I looked at one and nice piece, but opted for the Browning Mod. 71 which is pretty much a duplicate of the orginal. As you mention, the higher grade of the Browning is one fine looking example, but wanting one to actually use could not see taking it to the woods. Believe Pedersolli is offering a "super grade" and std. version of the 71 these days?? I'll stick with my Browing. Overall the 71 is one of the finest leverguns made regardless of version.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where the Brownings and the current 71 made by the same Japanese manufacturer? So they ought to be just about exactly the same except for the tang safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are made by the same firm, but safety, hammer, trigger arrangement is different. Turnbull Restorations modifys the current Winchester offerings to eliminate these items. If you place one of the Brownings along side of today's Winchesters the overall fit and finish seems to be in favor of the Brownings as well or at least the ones I have seen. Have been told that the Brownings also vary from originals in that the throat of chamber/barrel is shorter than original and bullets of 250gr weight have to be seated deeper. I don't shoot anything heavier than 200gr and no issue with me. Whether it is a new Winchester, Browning, or original, a super slick, smooth handling hunting rifle in any form.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Perfect platform for a 50 Alaskan or a 50 B&M Alaskan!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever noticed they are never quite the same as the older guns, The blue isn't up to old time snuff and the wood is usually too bulky, its like they can't see the difference..I think the bean counters get involved and when that happens things go down hill. Hope I'm wrong on this one, I love the old mod. 71s even if it was hard to find an accurate one.

Actually the closest reproduction I have seen is the Win. Mod. 95, but only in the SRC version. even then you have to take the thumb safety out of it, tig up the hole and match the blue..That done is a dandy rifle in 30-06 or 30-40 Krag and just like the older guns. The rifle is nice but the stock is bulky and not at all like the original..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunblast.com
Deluxe version in 2012...ooh baby

Posts: 73 | Location: WI | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD
I have read/heard the same thing on the 250gr bullets. My Browning loves the 250gr Barnes Original seated to the groove. I have not tried any other 250gr bullet.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dick broussard,
OK, I did buy some Barnes 250's but have not tried them yet. Bought some Hornady 200gr to load up and will do some loading with the Barnes as well. Due to the kindness of a very fine gentleman I was able to secure a large supply of original Rem. and Win.(early production) factory rounds, lots of brass, etc., but
figured I would just store them a while.
Off the 71 topic, but I like the round so much having a No.1 rebarreled to 348. Sort of a companion piece you might say. Knew the round was no longer popular and my barrel maker/'smith who retired from old line barrel mfg. had to go looking for the reamer. Said it most likely had not been used for several years. To me the 71/348 combo can pretty much do it all for ranges out to 250yds, but that is just me. Would like to find some "pointy" bullets for use in the NO.1 just to see what they would do, but not sure anyone makes such a bullet??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD
For your #1 project try Hawk Bullets for spitzers up to 270 grains. I have not used them but they appear to be the only game in town.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Chambering a #1 in 348 has been a topic at our local shooters meeting for some time. We were actually looking at 45/348. There is a much wider selection in 458 diameter bullets and barrels.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dear wife emailed me just the day before yesterday advising that she had dropped by the local pawn shop and pick up "her" Browning M71 Carbine for "her" 50th B-Day which is in a couple of weeks. Been looking for one for a while and found it here in the classifieds. Last time I was home in October I hit the big Houston Gunshow and a guy was selling new Win brass for $25/100. Needless to say I bought some thinking it would get used some day. Dies, brass and bullets await. I should be blasting in a week when I get home. Can't wait.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dick broussard,
Thanks for the tip on those spitzer bullets, will definitely give them a try in the NO.1.
Just this week spoke with 'smith and it is just about done. Taking rib over to him tomorrow to have it fitted and front sight barrel band installed and then blueing will finish it. Never thought about the 45/348 combo, but that should be a real stout round and you are correct bullets, etc. readily available. Since the parent case is 50/110 wonder what the power factor would be with such a round?? In a NO.1 could you get near or even over the 2000fps range with 400gr bullets?? You should not have mentioned that combo for now thinking about finding another NO.1. Again, thanks for the tip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
dick broussard,
OK, I did buy some Barnes 250's but have not tried them yet. Bought some Hornady 200gr to load up and will do some loading with the Barnes as well. Due to the kindness of a very fine gentleman I was able to secure a large supply of original Rem. and Win.(early production) factory rounds, lots of brass, etc., but
figured I would just store them a while.
Off the 71 topic, but I like the round so much having a No.1 rebarreled to 348. Sort of a companion piece you might say. Knew the round was no longer popular and my barrel maker/'smith who retired from old line barrel mfg. had to go looking for the reamer. Said it most likely had not been used for several years. To me the 71/348 combo can pretty much do it all for ranges out to 250yds, but that is just me. Would like to find some "pointy" bullets for use in the NO.1 just to see what they would do, but not sure anyone makes such a bullet??

I am thinking a call to Corbin may be in order. Can the .358's can be swaged down?

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Browning reproductions. As soon a the Win deluxes come out, I am buying the front cap with the sling swivel attachment and the swivels look to be like the large units that came with the original delises as well. I bet those parts sell like hot cakes.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dick B wave

Hawk bullets have performed excellent for me in my 9,3x74, and in my 450/400.
I have shot several deer and pigs with them and several impala in Zim with the 9,3.

In the .348 I would get the .035 jacket.

If I wanted really deep penetration, along with good expansion, on game like raking shots on elk, big bears, moose etc., I would get the 230gr North Fork bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote