THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Need help assessing value of 1894
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help assessing value of 1894
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Hello AR friends,

I need to ask your help in assessing the fair market value of a Winchester 1894 in .25-35.

This is a family heirloom, and so it would be too easy for me to get wrapped up in nostalgia; so I'm hoping someone can point me, generally, in the right direction.

In short, I want to sell the rifle because I cannot foresee anyone in the family desiring it; also, I want to help fund an Eagle Scout project at the church I serve - one of our scouts is installing a new flagpole at the church, and I'm keen to make a financial contribution. The sale of this rifle will allow me to do so.

With that background, here's the details of the rifle. It's an 1894 carbine made in 1907, per the serial number, in .25-35 WCF (I don't have the rifle in front of me today, but will shortly).

The rifle's blueing is largely gone, and it's missing the rear leaf sight; in its place is installed a Redfield peep. The gun is, mechanically, in excellent condition. It is safe and functions perfectly. The wood is in rough shape, but is original and appears not to have been refinished. On both the buttplate and the comb is stamped the name J. Pedderson in about 6pt font.

The bore is dark and rough, but shoots Winchester factory ammo inside a thumbnail at 50 yards (for real - I've done it :-)

This is one of my grandfather's rifles, and I have shot 3 deer with it over the years. The rifle is dear to me, but the plain truth is that my own children will likely never use it, and there are no other family members either. Selling the rifle to fund this Eagle project will allow my conscience peace, as it will be a noble end to the rifle's time with our family.

Thanks for your help - the best way to reach me, outside of posting here, is pastorchrismeier@gmail.com

Blessings!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought and sold many Win. 94s in 25-35 Win. If your gun was mint or near mint it would easily bring $3500 or more...

In your described condition, especially an old reblue and refinish that's worn out, and carving on the stock it would be considered a parts gun to be stripped down and sold for its parts, or if your lucky a Den decorator. That value would be $300 to $400 maybe.

Then again someone might buy it for whatever reason for more..Just some thoughts to consider.

Im always interested in parts guns, but detailed pictures might change the whole picture and value.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray - I very much appreciate your comments.

I'll get in touch with you towards the end of next week. God bless,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote