New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes for Marlin 30/30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have purchased a Marlin 336 SS in the " standard" 30/30. As readers I assume are aware, these rifles can use the new Hornady ammo. At this stage, I do not inted to ,as my SS 30/30 does not have the need to shoot anywhere like 150-200 yds. Its main, but not only function, is to be used on heavy , close quarter game, particularly pigs. I some photos on other forum etc have seen quite ( physically) small scopes mounted on 30/30s. They are a fraction of the size of a standard scope. I am sure this issue has arisen before and did a search before starting this topic off , as no dobut it has been covered in the past. I would be grateful if other could advise on the rather unusal scopes I am referring to. It may be that they are handgun scopes? Finally, what recommendations are their for a high quality scope, as my damn eyesight is really starting to go, to put on top of this Marlin for shooting foxes, goats etc at ranges of 80-100 yds max as I can get this game at these distances provided the scope is up to the job. Whilst I do not want to waste money, I am prepared to pay at relatively high money if this is required to sight targets cleary within the parametes mentioned above. Confused[

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX-1 3X9 or Nikon buckmasters 3X9 are both good.I bought the nikon buckmasters 3x9 for $125 on clearance at walmart.I have it on my AR-15 RRA rifle.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be more like a 2X to 4X fixed power based on the rangers specified. First off, a 3x9X would be a bit heavy on a 30-30 carbine and would look, IMHO, a bit ridiculous.
FWIW, I'm literally blind as a bat when it comes to using iron sights, but one of the longest shots I ever made was on a mule deer at 427 paces with an old Weaver K-3 scope that was on my .308 Win. rifle. Another scope I wouldn't change is a pre M series Leupold in 2.75X. As a matter of fact, I am slowly getting rid of my variables and replacing them with fixed power scopes.
There's nothing wrong with the Nikon 3x9X Buckmasters as I have a few. It's just that they've been set on 3X while hunting and I've never felt the need to raise the power even on the longer shots. So, if I don't need the extra power, why carry the extra weight?
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used a Leupold 2.5x Compact on a 336 with no troubles. If I were shopping for a reasonably priced low range variable I'd look at the Weaver 1-3x. I recall they make a nice 2.5x glass as well. If you don't mind doubling the cost of your Marlin the XS scout mount and Leupold scout scope are working very nicely on my 1895G.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While there are quite a few good selections for your uses, I have a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5x5 mounted on my dedicated pig gun, a Marlin in .38-55. It works superbly for multiple kills turned down to 1.5x. I recommend it highly.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Nikon 1 x. Great field of view; clear, crisp and bright. For short range it beats open sights and should work well.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote