Find
Notify
Tools

94 Ejection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
Is there a way to deflect the ejection of a 94 .30-30? They seem to kick back in my face. One piece of brass hit me below the eye and I looked as I was recovering from a black eye.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you rifle is out of tune, probably the ejector or extractor cut..I have been shooting them all my life and never had that happen that I recall. Work the action briskly.

Another option is made by Stetson, a good hat goes with a cowboy gun so maybe that's the reason it never happened to me! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The 94Angle Eject was the solution to that problem. Like Atkinson, a hat helps, I generally get all my cases on the brim of my hat. They are easy to find that way.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Are you lowering the rifle from your shoulder whilst reloading? if so, keep it on your shoulder and work the lever briskly. I have been shooting 94s since the early 60s and never had that happen.
Can you make a deflector? no.
Might trade for a Marlin.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good reply..... get a marlin! tu2 rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had that happen. Have a good gunsmith check it out.

The main reason for the angle eject was so scopes could be mounted on the centre line of the rifle.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They just keep improving the old guns, much like this present administration has improved our lives!! angle ejection on a 200 yard gun is BS, side safty on a lever gun to make the safer, again BS..The Pre 64 Winchester, old Marlins, and old time religion suits me just fine!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the tang and sliding safeties. The big bore version and angle eject though not traditional design do make the gun more flexible in some applications.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, angle ejection is a solution to a non-existent problem and is an abomination; I would never own one. Winchesters are supposed to eject from the top; period. And are not designed for scopes. And they do have safeties; half cock notches and your brain.
If you want a side eject; get a Marlin they are stronger actions anyway.
You did not say if you are keeping the rifle on your shoulder while you are working the lever; if you are lowering it, you are doing it wrong. ly.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a new model 95 win. SRC carbine in 30-06 until a good friend talked me out of it, and now he won't trade it back to me!! I even stocked it with a fancy piece of wood with a recoil pad, but liked the factory simi cresent stock so well I seldom switched them.

It had the damn tang safety, but I tore it out with a pair of fencing pliers tossed it and all its parts in the trash, tig welded the hole, polished and blue the tang and WHOA! it was, at last, just like the old model, even the stock was correct to the original, and yes it still had the half cock notch safety. One could also fill the gap with black glass on a hunting rifle, I did originally but then felt tigging was a better option for some reason or another! Eeker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120