New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 1886
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a front sight question. When shooting handloads beefed up a bit it shoots high, even with the rear sight all the way down. This probably calls for a higher front sight. Any suggestions on a replacement for the front sight.

Thanks
kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a formula for such adjustments, can't remember it now, but it is published in Brownell's catalog for "iron sights" calibrating/adjustment. Relationship of sight radius, FS height, range, and point of impact. Sure someone here will have it handy and let you know. Rough estimate I use is .008" per inch up or down for front sight blade, but that is with my rifles/calibers being used.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How high is high?

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to seriously high, put top of front sight on bottom of 3" bull its probably 4" inches high. I know this isn't geometry but these aren't full bore loads. Just looking for a simple solution, hence the front sigh option.
Maybe just aim a wee bit lower. You know how it is, everything has to be just so.

kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should raise the front sight about .050 to get it to shoot Zero. .080 will give you some adjustment.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dixie gun works may have what you are looking for. You may end up with a sight that is a little too high that you can file down to your liking. No sweat.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
This is all good advice but what kind of loads are raising you out of your sight window?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why dont you cut the notch in your rear sight deeper? I did this with a 22 bolt action of mine. A hack saw blade ran through the notch slowly and carefully let me get the rifle to zero. You might have better solutions, this is just my idea.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote