New
Find
Notify
Tools

kudos to Ray Atkinson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This might be the wrong place to post this but I want to tell everyone how Ray Atkinson helped resurrect a savage 99 in 300 from being a wall hanger.

Little story on the rifle. I took my 99 to a gun smith in our local area to have sling swivels attached to the rifle. Before I took the rifle over to him the rifle was shooting 1 1/2 inch groups all day long. After I got the rifle back on what I thought was an easy job the gun now shot everywhere, 6 inch groups were the norm. The gunsmith I now think was a liberal. Since they try and take our guns with no avail they just ruin them so they don't shoot.

After reading how ray fixed some 99 I contacted him. He mentioned things to try and see if they worked. The gun still was unable to take hunting anymore. Ray graciously had me ship the rifle to him to see what he could do. The forearm was basically ruined by the first gunsmiths work.

I received the rifle back June 3rd and took it out to the range today June 4th to see how it shot. Before Ray sent it back too me he told me he fixed the forearm and the gun was shooting under an inch. needless to say I was excited to get the 99 back.

I just got back from the range to test fire and I couldn't be happier. The first three shot group measured .900 x .528 (measurement was outside to outside) the second group measured .685 x .490, again outside to outside. The loads were with Hornady 150 grain RN pushed by 4064. To say the least I was ecstatic.

Shot the next 10 shots at a steel 4" round metal plate at 200 yards, all 10 shots hit the metal plate.

Ray I want to thank you again for fixing the 99 better than it has ever been. You have brought life back to the old gal to hunt again.

Going out to clean her up and shoot cast bullets out of her again.

Ray your a miracle worker..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Michael, glad it worked out, it could use a trigger job at some point..Most Savages could use one, but most get by with the factory job..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shot the next 10 shots at a steel 4" round metal plate at 200 yards, all 10 shots hit the metal plate.

you forgot to say "all day long"

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good on ya, Ray!

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Ray is a fine gentleman. Hope to meet him when he gets down to Texas.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Way to go Ray!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote