Find
Notify
Tools

Browning B L R 81
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted
I saw on gunsamerica,and gunbroker.com limited production All stainless steel Browning BLR 81

lever action rifles with laminated forearms and buttstock.Calibers were 270 wsm,7mm wsm,300 wsm.I have no experiance with this gun but I am interested in this particular package to go with my Winchester 1895 405wcf.Does anybody here have any experiance with THE BLR`s ?Good buy,good accurate gun,reliable weapon,or should I stay away from them?I live and hunt in Alabama.Mostly thick swamps,blow downs,thickets,etc.I killed my 1st deer with a Sears Ted Williams model 30-30 carbine with a 16in. barrel made by Winchester during the 50`s r 60`s.Most of our hunting here is jump shooting deer when you find them bedded.I have always been most comfortable with lever actions and single shots shotguns or rifles.If any one here has any opinions on the BLR good or bad I would to hear from you.My local gunsmith told me that Any BLR or any Browning product was junk.His words not mine!But he only likes old 98 mauser`s and Remington 700`s.I really like the looks of the Stainless BLR`S but I don`t know about the WSM calibers they are chambered for.My personal arsenal consists of a 30-378 wthby mag stainless,Ruger 77 270 win.stainless old style zytel stock and my baby !A Winchester 1895 405 wcf.Any way any BLR Shooters out their tell me about your gun

Posts: 84 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
For the hunting you describe, a BLR in 358win would be just about impossible to improve upon. If you don't need to shoot beyond 250 yards, the 358 will do it all, and the BLR is a dandy wrapper for the cartridge..... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Smiler thanks for the repley Dutch

One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Smiler thanks for the repley Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AMRA: I presently own 4 BLRs and my personal, long-time go-to rifle for whitetail hunting is a .358 BLR that I purchased new 24 years ago. ALthough I own other rifles, the BLRs just feel right to me - they are sweet to carry, dependable and shoot well enough for any hunting purpose. Personally I think the stainless versions with the laminated stock are interesting, but I don't find much appeal in any of the WSM calibers that they are offering it in, especially for the hunting situations that you described. If you happen to reload, one in .358 would be a great way to go. The only negative I can say about my BLRs is that the triggers aren't the best for target/recreational shooting, but it is something that you never notice while hunting. I don't believe that many people would consider them junk - after all, they have been produced for 30+ years.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Pagris,Thanks for your reply,I have tried e-mailing Browning to ask if they might offer the Stainless version of the B L R in non WSM calibers.Have not heard anything from them yet. A stainless B L R in 35 Whelen would be perfect!
But I doubt they would ever do that.
Thanks again AMRA

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
AMRA

I have an older model BLR in .308. It is a classy LA in my opinion but the new ones don't do anything for me.

It is light, short, fast and handy. Accurate, the trigger is fine, and a .308 is a respectable calibre.

What more could you want?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BLR is hardly junk, and your gunsmith is full of it, but I am also a Mod 98 Mauser fan so he was half right. BTW the old Browning are Mausers ( rather FNs) for his information beer

Go with the BLR, you will love it, they are accurate, feed well and are an all around fine rifle..I prefer the Mod. 99 Savage but that has more to do with my upbringing than anything else.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AMRA:
Pagris,Thanks for your reply,I have tried e-mailing Browning to ask if they might offer the Stainless version of the B L R in non WSM calibers.Have not heard anything from them yet. A stainless B L R in 35 Whelen would be perfect!
But I doubt they would ever do that.
Thanks again AMRA

I have a Browning BLR from the very first run in .358 Win. and it's quite accurate. My only gripe is it is damnably muzzle light which I find disconcerting at times on a fast shot. It's my understanding the newer ones have an alloy reciever which should have made an improvement on the balance of the gun.
I believe Browning has made a run of BLRs in .358 and while it may not be in stainless steel, I'm willing to bet you'd like it.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson,Paul B., Thanks for your replies,I got a reply from a gunsmith in Tennessee who posts on another B&B who said that the stainless B L R`S were a limited run in the WSM calibers.But if they sold well that Browning MIGHT offer it in other non-WSM calibers.I`m going to wait and see if they do,I am not really all that fired up about the WSM calibers,I have my Weatherby 30-378 mag.When I hunt on power line,or gas line right of ways and need a gun for shooting at a distance.Even then I mostly carry my old Ruger M77 270 Win.With a Leupold 1.75x6x32 Vari-x 111.
Mr.A you are right about my local gunsmith he`s a great guy but as he has gotten older he has gotten more set in his ways and opinions.He still gives me hell about my 30-378 after 7 years of owning one.THANKS AGAIN AMRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask Fred over at z-hat.com about BLR's. I inquired of him about converting one to .416 Taylor for AK, and reliability was a chief concern. I understand the guy has a lot of experience with this rifle, and certainly gave a positive opinion of them to me. My NIB 7mag BLR is still in the closet. An ultralight mod. 70 .338 has commanded my attention for now. Maybe one day that 416 will happen.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
Thanks cobrad,I`ll e-mail him about the B L R,and maybe some sights for my Win. 1895
405 wcf,the factory sights are terrible!Thanks again AMRA