THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Pistol grip versus straight grip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol grip versus straight grip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Which one do you prefer on your lever action & why?
Thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I would prefer pistol grip over straight but that's not that important. Crescent or shotgun style butt-stock is.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
This may or may not be important to you, but if you are hunting in winter and have a few layers of clothing under a pair of coveralls, your elbow needs to come up when you use a straight stock but not as much when you have a pistol gripped stock, so you can keep your elbow tucked in more and it is slightly (and sometimes more than slightly) faster to bring the gun up to bear on a quick shot.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pistol grip helps to control recoil.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:

I agree with this statement to a certain extent, but find this to be the case with only some lever rifles, particularly the Marlin 1895, and Winchester models 71, 64, and 53. This just may be due to my personal geometry. I don't know. Most lever guns with straight grips seem to kick me harder. I've owned a Japanese made 1886 with the semi-pistol grip and an extra-light weight 86. These kicked me worse than the model 71 with comparable loads. Also with the 86's, I have to move my thumb to the right side of the grip in order to not give myself a good thump on my nose during recoil. The 71's stock allows my thumb to roll over the grip of the stock without issue. I guess the amount of kick isn't the issue, it's how the stock lets you deal with it. If I ever get Doug Turnbull to build me a heavy thumper on the 86/71 action, it will be a browning model 71 just because I personally feel the 71 is much more comfortable to shoot. I've never shot a marlin model 94 in either configuration, so I can't comment either way. The Browning repro of the win mod 53 is a 32-20, so recoil isn't an issue anyway, but I think it would have been very comfortable to shoot in 44 magnum compared to a straight griped model 92, which shares the same action.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like both styles. However I preferre the shotgun butt over the cresent at any time.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've fired Marlin 1895 .45-70's with both pistol grip stock and straight stock (my stainless guide gun being the straight stock) and found the guide gun to recoil harder. I'm sure 4" of barrel deficit and a weight discrepancy had something to do with it, but I run into the thumb/nose interface problem aforementioned if I don't watch where I place my thumb while shooting. I'd almost like to replace my stock/lever with a pistol grip stock/lever to see the difference (if any) in that gun.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:

Very True, more like muzzle flip, and felt recoil. On my 50 B&M Alaskans there is a big difference in muzzle flip between the Marlins, Guide straight stock, and the pistol grip 1895. Much prefer the Pistol grip stock for controlling muzzle flip, and keeping that muzzle on target for second shots. The M71s are even a tad better when converted, also a bit heavier as well. With that stock more in line with the bore you are much more able to control the muzzle. No doubts, no ifs, no ands.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I own both, does not matter to me, either is just fine.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
To me it is more of a cosmetic deal, I just prefer a straight grip on a lever action. That might change if I was shooting some of the rounds some of the other folks are mentioning, although I did have an 1895 Marlin in 45/70 at one time with straight grip, but did not notice the recoil as being that excessive.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I prefer the pistol grip on a lever gun. Just seems to give me a bit more control and tad better trigger finger geometry. It also positions the lever a bit closer to the vertical so that the stroke is more of a forward than a down and forward. I've had straight grips for years, but just realized that my three current lever guns, a Savage 99, Winchester 64 and Marlin 39, all have pistol grips.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies so far gents,I presently have three levers,the two that I have been shooting the most are a 1886 45/90 with a straight grip & a 71 475 Turnbull with a pistol grip,The Turnbull has a bigger loop on the lever,it has been opened up but the 1886 lever is as it came from the factory(Japanese),I find that with heavy loads the lever bites my fingers a bit,whereas the 71 does not,& I was wondering if the straight grip was a factor in this?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73,

IMO, don't give up on the straight grips. My wife & I shoot these almost exclusively. She is 5ft.2 and easily shoots our rebarreled .375 Ruger BLR. She plans to take a hippo with it. Adding mercury in the stock helps a great deal; of course, it also adds weight.

One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
I have to go with the pistol grip all the way for me. Much better control with really heavy max loads. But really personal preference.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Which one do you prefer on your lever action & why?
Thanks.
I tend to agree with most responders, that grip is more a matter of aesthetics rather than control - unless the shooter has [some sort of] crippling in arms, hands, shoulders that restricts movement.

I have a particularly virulent illness creating and progressively worsening such restrictions. My Marlin 1895 stainless steel rifles have been customized by Grizzly Custom Guns in Columbia Falls, Montana, to improve reliability, etc., and to allow more nearly pain-free use.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can use either without problems or caring much.
Shooting off a bench the pistol grip is a tiny bit better. Carried on horseback the straight grip is better.
The curved rifle butt sucks but I can even tolerate that on any thing less than a heavily loaded 45-70. What I do not like is a curved butt that slips and slides. The hideous exaggerated undershot curved butts are a no go however.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both hard press to say what one I like best they both work for me.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also used both, and really can't say which one I like the best.

My favorite lever is an 1895 in 405WCF, and it has a straight grip.

These rifles have a reputation for hard umcomfortable recoil, but I find the rifle plesant to shoot, probably because I have shot so many light weight 375H&H's, but I enjoy shooting and hunting with the 405.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically it's a choice between recoil control (pistol grip)
and SPEED (Straight grip)

a pistol grip isn't necissary for light kicking rounds like a 30-30 32WinSpl or 35Rem,

it is desireable for medium rounds like a 356Win 3855 or 375Win

For bigger rounds like the 444Marlin, 450Marlin or 45-70
(particularly with max effort handloads) it is highly desireable.

Shooting hot 45-70 handloads in a straight grip Marlin with a curved butt plate is an act of stupidity that you will immediatly be punished for, particularly if you are stupid enough to shoot it from the bench...

I can call ANYONE who does this any name I like, because I broke my collar bone TWICE with my Marlin. So I feel that after BEING stupid I know "Stupid"

I've shot it far more with even heavier loads since, but only after that curved butt-plate was GONE

and it isn't because I'm a "little guy", I'm 6'4" and 300lbs, basically the kind of guy who a Quarterback sees coming,
screams like a little girl and runs away....

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 with a straight grip, and one with a pistol grip. From an ergonomic standpoint, I can't really tell the difference. Aesthetically, I prefer the straight grip.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some rifles just look better with a straight stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing goes in a horse mounted scabbard slicker than a straight stocked lever action rifle. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I have a straight stock Marlin 1895GS 45/70 as well as a pistol grip Browning BLR takedown in 450 Marlin. I really like the looks of the straight stock but the Pistol grip BLR is far easier to shoot even with much heavier loads. One problem with the Marlin is that it has a very narrow stock and a really hard recoil pad. I think if I change out the pad and put a Pachmayr pad on it it will help a lot with the recoil.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both, and one suits me as well as another. I like skinny stocks and a straight grip goes well in a saddle scabbard but again I just dont' care which.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41851 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Straight grip. No checkering. Shotgun butt. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too many years of boltguns and single shots with the PG and checkering to change now...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lighter cals. straight stock ok. Prefer pistol grip with heavier cals.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SaxonPig that is a mghty fine looking M99.

I have only shot Win 94 in 30-30 and 356 and a Marlin in 444 all staight stocked and have not noticed recoil. However this thread has me thinking about the heavy thumpers and I can see why a pistol grip would be handy on those.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the handling of the straight stock better - easier for one-handing, pulling from scabbard, etc.

Regarding recoil and muzzle-flip: the pistol grip stocks give you more drop, which gives the rifle more leverage to rotate up during recoil - so in theory that should cause much more muzzle-flip. But that stock geometry is usually easier for people to correctly mount the rifle in the first place, so they handle the recoil better.

The straight stock of the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun is the wrong geometry for anyone over 5' tall. A 5'10" man will almost always place the butt pad above the shoulder pocket in order to see the iron sights. Between the lighter weight and bad stock geometry, the GG can be a hard kicker.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote