New
Find
Notify
Tools

1893 Marlin restock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m restocking an 1893 Marlin deluxe 30-30. It had a few holes in it and would have probably not bought it if it wasn’t a 30” octagon full mag deluxe. So I’m thinking I want it to have a shotgun butt instead of the more typical crescent. I plan to shoot it a fair bit and never cared for the way the crescent fits my shoulder. What style buttplate should it have had? My other option is to just make one out of horn.

Suggestions?

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If you look up 1893's in a search several styles will come up. Another option is get a copy of Brophy's book "Marlin Firearms". Lots of photos and original illustrations to go by.

I'm pretty sure a shotgun butt was one of the original options.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
sounds like a nice rifle, please show us a photo when you have it finished.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I’ll post pictures as it progresses. I’ve looked at the broody book, but the options looked really plain for a special order rifle?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Could have had a flat (actually slightly curved) checkered steel buttplate or a bake lite one.
I would use a Winchester High wall one; readily available from Track of the Wolf. And other places.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to use a Neidner butt plate and form the stock from that, Looks great on a Winchester so shoud on the Marlin. That's what Im going to do on my Marlin 336 custom 25-35, with its 2.5X Leupold Alaskan scope this winter.. the fit will work both for iron sights and scope, it just about splits the difference..I may straighten or replace the lever to a straight grip, not sure yet..Metal work is near done, will shoot it and if its a tack driver, I will custom stock it and rust blue.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote