New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin .44mag fun to shoot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been offered a Marlin .44mag. in new condition for a very reasonable price.

I shoot an old Marlin 336 30-30 made in 1959 not a lot, but a few times a year.

Is the .44 mag Marlin fun to shoot?
How does it compare to the 30-30?
Thanks

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like shooting mine !
It Has almost no recoil , yet packs a hell of a punch up close !
Its accurate too. I think of it as a versatile weapon great for defense against anything short of a grizzly and light and handy to boot enjoy it !
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire rifle was a Ruger in 44 Magnum.
Since then I have owned a Marlin 44 Mag, and currently own a Winchester 44 Mag 16" Trapper.
I really like 44 Mag rifles, I have killed a lot of deer and a few pigs with them.
I have found them most useful and a lot of fun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the .44 mag Marlin fun to shoot?

Pistol caliber carbines are very fun to shoot.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very accurate with 300gr Nosler HP bullets too. Great on large hogs!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, fun to shoot, but the 44 mag is not a very light kicker; not heavy either. I tell you what is much more fun; a Winchester 73 or 66 (repro is fine) in any caliber. The old toggle actions are more fun that a modern Marlin to me.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I shot one to the tune of 800 rounds a month in CAS. With full power loads, it offers a bit less recoil than a 30-30 to my shoulder. Which means basically none! My Marlin shoots nice small groups and its light and easy to carry. Lots of fun.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here are the numbers;
44 mag; 8.6 ft pounds of recoil
30-=30 10.6

It all depends on what you consider no recoil. Most guys here do not use full power 44 mag loads for CAS.
I still like the older lever actions although I own a few Marlins too. The best caliber in those is the 45-70.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you mean by "reasonable price", you can hardly go wrong by buying it, even if you want to resell/trade it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here are the numbers;
44 mag; 8.6 ft pounds of recoil
30-=30 10.6

It all depends on what you consider no recoil. Most guys here do not use full power 44 mag loads for CAS.
I still like the older lever actions although I own a few Marlins too. The best caliber in those is the 45-70.

I have never thought either the full power 44M or the 30-30 kicked enough to notice. When you start shooting full power 250 Grain .338WM, I start to notice. Eeker

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't notice recoil until I hit 450 Nitro.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are fun and fairly cheap to shoot too. And very deadly on deer within their range limitation.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure like mine, I shoot targets with 44 specials and carry it with magnums when I am out and about. Its accurate with both. I load the specials near the maximum listed and the magnums loaded at the starting level.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 44mag carbine/rifle kicks EXACTLY like a 30-30 carbine/rifle of similar weight and stock shape...

loaded with 44 specials it's a lighter of course

When my brother got a marlin 1894 in 44mag I was doing all his loading and I loaded 44specials in 44mag brass...

No I don't believe there are issues with "chamber erosion", but I do believe in SCRs (Stubborn Crud Rings) and the ugly things they do when you switch back to the longer mag brass cased loads after firing a bunch of shorter specials.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote