New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895CB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a Marlin 1895CB? How do you like it? What do you do with it?(Hunt, Cowboy Action, etc.) Thanks.

Why is violence so widely condemned when it is such a huge part of our cultural heritage?

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have two, one was converted to 50 alaskan and the other is still 45/70. I like the way the rifle hangs with the longer barrel. The are accurate and handle well. I like the cowboy better then the 22" standard model I have and I am not at all fond of the guide gun as it feel butt heavy to me.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's the recoil with some of the warmer 45-70 loads out there?
Thanks.
SB Smith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil is very manageable for me. About the same as a .300 magnum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the sights like on the cowboy model? Kind of "old fashioned" and plain or are they a little more modern? Thanks.

Why is violence so widely condemned when it is such a huge part of our cultural heritage?

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gold bead front and semi buckhorn rear. Traditional style with dove tails in the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pulled the barrel off my 1895CB yesterday. It weighs (with sights, dovetails, etc.) 2.52 lbs. on a Lyman trigger scale and the complete gun 6.7 lbs. Recoil with hunting level loads was way too much for me. It will soon have a 26", 1.0" dia., round, Green Mountain (45-70) barrel with 1:18" twist. Yes, it will weigh about 10 lbs but at least I'll enjoy shooting it.
The original octagon barrel came off undamaged and is in perfect shape if anyone's interested.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my CB -- favorite rifle I own. With the Garretts, the recoil's a bit stiffer than my #1 in 375 H&H. But, with a LeverRevolution, it's about like a 270 -- and the Remington 405 JSP's are really soft -- and still perfectly effective on whitetail, etc. I do have a Limbsaver pad on it, though. I put WWG trigger, loop, ejector, follower, ghost ring sights on mine -- made a huge improvement.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
AG what did the ww ejector do for you? I haven't had any problems with mine. Are the prone to breaking?

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote