New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Win. 1886 in 45-90
 Login/Join

Picture of Fenton Buckingham
posted
I see Winchester offers their 1886 short rifle lever action in 45-90 caliber?

Does anyone have any experience with this new offering as I do not see it offered for sale anywhere.

Appreciate the help

spell check enabled!

Posts: 11 | Location: Basingstoke - England | Registered: 30 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With modern smokeless powders a 45-70 does everything you want .The only reason for a 45-90 is if you use black powder. Perhaps for cowboy action shooting ?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have not seen the 45-90 version available yet.
In my experience we see the adverstising when the new catalogue is sent out, then at some point in the year they ship a few. I always try to be ready when they are released as they always sell out very quickly.
I do not own a 45-90. I think it might add a bit of speed with smokeless over a 45-70 but little else.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
The Winchester website, you can not really give much believe. Last year it already has announced several 1885 models. No one could really tell me if something was made​​. And here in Germany I have not found any importer who has something in the program or even knew of it. The only rifles I can get, are M70 oder M94 rifles. But such "special" models, like the 1885, 1886 and 1895 rifles you can forget.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My Miroku made Winchester 1886 .45-90 repro
has a 26" barrel and is a very well made rifle.
This is true of all the Miroku rifles made rifles and shotguns that I own.

I have not heard anything bad said about the Miroku made Brownings or Winchesters are made or how the shoot.

WRT METE comment - I bought my .45-90 to do some things a little better than the .45-70. Specifically to get more velocity from jacketed bullets from 300 - 450 grains for hunting purposes. Some of this was accomplished through handloading and some from a high performance ammo manufacturer. On the low end, we have taken 300 grain bullets to 2600 and could have done a bit more. When we reached .450 NE performance with 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps, we stopped, thinking that would suffice for most anything walking about; so far that has been true.
An added benefit is that is also shoots factory .45-70 ammo for plinking, practice, and game the size of deer, elk, black bear, hogs, etc.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love my Marlin 45-70 and have been playing with the heavy loads - 460gr plus and the best I have yet achieved is around 1800fps with the 460 gr bullets.

This is the very reason I'd like to tinker with the 45-90, I assume there would be less pressure due to the bigger case and one could then push it a little harder or faster than the 45-70

I'm glad to hear you reached 2150 fps with a 450gr, it gives me hope with the loading - NOW if I could only find one to play with.

Thanks to everyone for their input

WRT METE comment - I bought my .45-90 to do some things a little better than the .45-70. Specifically to get more velocity from jacketed bullets from 300 - 450 grains for hunting purposes. Some of this was accomplished through handloading and some from a high performance ammo manufacturer. On the low end, we have taken 300 grain bullets to 2600 and could have done a bit more. When we reached .450 NE performance with 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps, we stopped, thinking that would suffice for most anything walking about; so far that has been true.
An added benefit is that is also shoots factory .45-70 ammo for plinking, practice, and game the size of deer, elk, black bear, hogs, etc.[/QUOTE]

spell check enabled!

Posts: 11 | Location: Basingstoke - England | Registered: 30 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to Winchester they will start production in June or July of this year in a limited number - I wonder if that will really happen!

Anyway, I'm getting my order in!

spell check enabled!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
good idea -- only way to be positive you get one.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I pre ordered a USRAC 1895 in 405 about 7 or 8 years ago. It took 18 months to get the rifle.

And it wasn't very nice at that. Ended up selling it new in the box, and haven't handled another new Winchester since.

Nothing against Miroku, they delivered them as cheaply as USRAC wanted.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MOA Tactical - Sorry to hear that you were not happy with your Miroku 1895.

I am rather pleased with my two Miroku made Winchester 1895 .405 rifles pictured below.

The takedown has a Williams FP receiver sight and the chamber has been reamed a bit to allow me to shoot Woodleigh 400 grain .411 bullets crimped at the cannelure. It shoots the 300 and 400 grain bullets accurately.
The Deluxe is an unfired "Looker" and is a pretty thing for sure.

Miroku does make some plain Winchester 1895 rifles, such at the Grade I uncheckered models now on sale at CDNN Sports for about $1,000. If they are like the other Miroku rifles with which I am familiar, they should shoot very well.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my 1895 Take down in 405.

If functions perfectly and shoots plenty good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote