Find
Notify
Tools

Should I scope my 94?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre 64 94 win in .32 win spec.
It's been a fun gun/range queen up to now, mostly due to it's buckhorn sights.
I have been reading a bit online about side mounts(for top eject) and one guy wrote that the windage know gets in the way of cases and the scope should be rotated 90 degress to clear spent cases.
Can i buy a side mount to use existing screw holes in the side of my reciever? Do they interfere with extraction?
Any thoughts?

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a G&H side mount with a lyman Alaska I planned on putting on my Moms old 94 but after much thought I think I will just put on a lyman apeture sight and call it good.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Though I don't have any lever guns set up with a scout scope, lately I've been thinking that's the optimum way to put a scope on a lever gun. I particularly like Wild West Guns scout scope setup. It involves drilling and tapping 4 holes on top of the barrel. I realize defiling your gun may not be what you have in mind. Just threw it out there as an option.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like AKshooter said... Give a Lyman or Williams aperture rear and an XS or Brockman post front sight a try first. As our eyes "mature" this is a much more precise setup than a traditional buckhorn and bead. As for scout scopes a forward mounted optic or a red dot on a scout mount will let you focus on your target and the crosswire at the same time and still let you grab the rifle around the receiver. The Wild West Guns setup it pretty tidy and leaves you your irons in case you need them. IIRC Redfield made a scout scope and base for the Model 94 back in the late 50s or early 60s. Only seen pictures of them in one Wolfe publication or another but a fella might look around...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an old 94 that has a side mounted scope. The scope mount uses existing bolt holes on the side plate of the action. Even though it works just fine at ranges that accommodate a lever gun, I've also considered using a scout scope mount.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've talked myself out of it again. Spoke to one guy who had one and he sold it cos it was fugly. I was'nt comfortable with scoping a classic lever action anyway, so I'm going to get a lyman tang sight in the new year.
Thanks for all the input, if I can only find some .321 cal bullets now!

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to scope my Winchester mod. 95. My eyes are just not up to iron sights anymore. I come to this kicking and screaming, but I winged a deer this year with my williams peep sighted rifle, which would have been an easy shot for a scoped sighted rifle. Earlier I missed one clean at 75 yds, in poor light, again a scope would have made the shot a sinch. I figure I owe it to the deer, as they so often present themselves in poor light. I will go to a scout mounted sight next year.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know exactly waht you mean, but I have a scoped .243 and .308 which are more than capable of longer ranges. I bought the .32 for fun and to own an icon of the firearm world.
If that limits my range, then I'll live with it. If I'm hunting seriously, the I'll have to use a more modern rifle.
I can still watch Lee Van Cleefmovies with my iron sighted winchester on my knee!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean as well. When I bought the Mod. 95 I didn't mean to hunt with it seriously, was just going to mount it over the fireplace and maybe use it occassionally. But I found out that the action was as smooth as glass, and the rifle, more accurate than I expected. I just ended up wanting to hunt with it beyound my capabilities, of course I didn't know that until this deer season played out.

Anywho, because it's function is now more than I anticipated, it will be scoped for next season. I have a Marlin 1894CB, in .45colt which is perfect for watching westerns on TV.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'd leave that poor 94 without a scope. I have never been fond of the tang peeps as they are always in the way of my thumb when holding the gun. I like the williams foolproof. Its rough when your eyesight goes--- I'm on the way too.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with a peep sight. You aren't going to make it a long range gun. Get another rifle to scope.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
NO!!!! It's just not right in my opinion.

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Two points;
1. If you like playing with rifles, mounting a scope will allow you to determine the best load for and accuracy of the rifle, then pull the scope and use whatever peep or open sight you fancy. Knowing the actual capability of a rifle always gives me confidence in my ability to hit with it.
2. Larry M, Though I can still live within the peep sight limitations of my Winchester 1895 .405, I will be very interested in your experience putting a scope on your 1895 - please post here and let us all know how you do it and how it works out for you.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm considering going about this in two ways.

First, puting a ruger type base on the barrel with a scout scope. I've seen one posted on this forum somewhere and it's not too bad looking a set up.

Second, having a completely new barrel made with the above arrangement and swapping it out for hunting with the orginal barrel, as I have a takedown model. Going this route I can have my cake and eat it too.

Of course the second course is the more expensive way, my gunsmith says he can do it between 800-900 dollars. A bit stiff, but I really like this idea. I think I'll go with the 7mm mauser if I go in this direction.

I will indeed post a pic when it's done for your pervue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going shorter than the 7MM Mauser might be better. Perhaps the .308 or 7mm 08--not much--but shorter.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rifle that no longer joins you in the field looks a little sadder every time you look in the safe. A scout scope on the 94 does not change the handling much at all. The Wild West Guns setup it pretty tidy and leaves you your irons when the weather gets snotty. It shouldn't cost any more to have the barrel drilled and tapped than have the same work done on the reciever. It also doesn't gack up the rifle; take the scope off and only an iron-sights only snob will notice the mount. I say do what it takes to get old faithful back into the woods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Going shorter than the 7MM Mauser might be better. Perhaps the .308 or 7mm 08--not much--but shorter.

How come? It is presently set up for a .30/06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in the minority here. If, there are already holes in the receiver, and that is a big if, I would scope a 94. No holes, no scope. You will need to turn the scope 90 degrees to get the cases to clear the scope. You will also need a hammer extension. The scope will be off to the left. I have one in 32 Special, that I've been using a very, long time. I use it nearly every year in PA deer hunting. The way I have mine set up, I can see the open sights if I press my check against the comb. If I hold it lightly against the comb, I can use the scope. It does not carry as nicely as unscoped, but still easier than a scoped bolt gun. i mostly still hunt, so I tend to carry it with my hand in the lever and thumb over the tang, trigger finger outside the trigger guard. I can use it for those instinct shots at whitetails in laurel, when you are shooting them like rabbits, and it's accurate enough for deliberate shots when they are standing still. Longest shot with this combination has been about 125 yards, shortest, less than ten feet. Works in rain, snow, sleet and sunshine, crawling over our rocky Applachian mountains.
Sorry, but I just cannot make freinds with the scout setup.
Just MHO
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Matherne--This thread switched horses in mid stream and I missed the switch. Brass Thief started it out with a Mod 94 in .32 Win Special. Now you are talking a 30-06 In a Model 95. I am not familar with the Model 95. At any rate I know they make 30-06's in actions other than bolt, but I just never cared for them. Sorta like a bolt action 30-30--they work great,but I never cared for them either.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
No

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you hunt, where, and how.

As I have mentioned elswhere, Francis E. Sell wrote a book in 1955 called "Small Game Hunting". It is really about using small game hunting to hone one's equipment and skills for big game hunting.

Anyway, Sell mentions a number of scoped lever guns he used regularly for both small and large game hunting. He explains there in considerable detail why he scoped them, and how it worked out in real life hunting with them.

Among them were a scoped Model 64 in .25-35, a scoped 30-30 M94, and a scoped M71 in ,.348 Winchester.

Fran was no fool...he was a VERY experienced NA hunter. His book is well worth getting on inter-library loan and reading.

It will give you some thoughts you probably won't hear here.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would. I'd look for a small scope with maybe 1.5-4X or 2-6X power range. Don't need nothing' more for that gun...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a lefty, I would probably have to go with a scout setup. My eyes aren't getting any better either. I just put a Skinner aperture sight on my Marlin 1894 and it works great.

As for my 1962 model 94 30-30, I left the decision of scope or no scope up to the rifle. I just asked her again if she wanted a scope. Still no answer Smiler

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only hunt in Alaska and I carry a Marlin 1895 in caliber 45-70 when I am hiking, camping, fishing, etc. I use a bolt gun for hunting. I prefer XS receiver sights and their white lined post on the front of Marlin 1895's. I am not interested in putting a scope on a lever gun that has a tubular magazine and an exposed hammer. Lots of folks seem to want to scope them though so like most things it is an individual choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't recommend what to do. But I will tell you my scoping experience with a Browning 1895 in '06.

I bought my rifle used but pretty pristine in 08. I didn't buy it because I wanted a rifle to be "authentic." I was looking for a quality do-anything medium-bore. I also bought it because I like all the things bolt action '06s offer--accuracy, power, spitzers, and cheap and useful ammunition. But I just cannot get around how ugly and slow bolts are. And I liked the design's history as a US and Russian service rifle.

So I did all my research with Midway USA and bought their side mount and a closeout low magnification one-inch Zeiss variable. I took it all to Williams Gun Sight in Flint, Mich. The gunsmith took a look at what I brought and recommended I use their proprietary steel mounts because the ones Midway sells are aluminum and can strip easily. And, yes, they mounted the scope with a 90 spin so spent shells wouldn't hit it. And here's another thing I didn't expect: the scope is mounted dead above my nose. I look through it with both eyes--it feels akin to having binoculars mounted on my rifle. It shoots better than I do--which is 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I would recommend Williams because the gunsmiths are beyond knowledgeable, which is why they get customers from all over the US. The caveat is that they are not speed champs and that the customer service staff apparently doesn't know anything about guns, customers, or service.

Do what you want. But I got exactly what I was looking for: a do-everything rifle that is accurate as far as I can shoot, fast to operate, and with better lines than a bolt gun. Best wishes as to how you answer your question.

Ben

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben, please post a picture of your rifle if possible. Also what is 90 spin?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures. The 90 degree spin is just that a scope is meant to have a turret as 12 o'clock and another at 3 o'clock when you are looking through it. However, to prevent having shells ding off the turret at 3 o'clock and shorten the life of the scope and possibly cause a stovepipe, the scope is just turned counterclockwise 90 degrees so the turrets are at noon and 9. What was your windage is now your elevation and vice versa. I was lucky I couldn't get a German #4 reticle because I'd then have a super thin line on the left of the reticle and three thick ones on the other sides.

Here is it offset to right between the eyes. Also something I like is that iron sights are still serviceable.

Here you can see the scope brand is underneath the scope instead of on the left side.

Here is the full rifle.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG:
NO!!!! It's just not right in my opinion.

+1

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the pics and explanation for the 90, I kinda figured that it is what you explained it is.

I have to do something with my own 95, I was leaning to a scout set-up, but now I'm thinking perhaps a shorty ramp set up with one of those new fiber optic sights hidden with a hood.

I do like your set up though very much and I may go that route.

I know many here believe we are talking treason wanting to scope this type of rifle, but I like my rifles to be useful and I am no longer able to use iron sights, especially in dim light when deer like to make their appearance.

Again thank you,

Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman tang sight on the way!
I am prepping .32 brass this morning(after finally getting my hands on some more bullets), and hope to be sighting my gun within the next week or so.
I understand why some folks have scoped their's. I was tempted to have another scoped gun in my armoury too, but I bought the gun because of it's classic appeal and the old world charm. I have serious working rifles already and the iron sighted winchester is just a nice gun. A tang sight should make it more useful without taking way from it's looks.
I don't judge anyone for scoping their's, each to their own!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you brass thief, I hope it works out well for you, no reason that it shouldn't. It will defintely be a smart looking package.

I think I will go with the fiber optic front sight on my gun and hide it with a hood to keep its classic looks. If I continue to have issues I can always escalate from there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eyes are such that now I cannot shoot a rifle for more than one or two rounds with a mid barrel open sight such as on the British SMLE. In fact I sold my two SMLE rifles because of this.

But I can shoot a rifle with an aperture or "ring" rear sight as I just look through the hole and it works well as it ever did.

Now. Surprise, surprise. My local gun range dug out a 1971 Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum for me to play with. And guess what?

The rear buckhorn is so near the eye AND so large that by treating it as an aperture or "ring" sight but with the top half missing I can use it quite well over five shots.

So I'd just try your rifle also in that manner and you may be surprised.

Personally if you need a 'scope in 44 Magnum power range cartridges on game you are too far away and should GET CLOSER. Or pass up the shot.

The 32 Winchester Special is that much more powerful and has the capability that a 'scope would be useful to help your eyes.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M94s just weren't meant to be scoped. If you don't want any guns you can't use, trade it in. It will be worth more without holes in it anyway.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
I have a Lyman tang sight on the way!
I am prepping .32 brass this morning(after finally getting my hands on some more bullets), and hope to be sighting my gun within the next week or so.
I understand why some folks have scoped their's. I was tempted to have another scoped gun in my armoury too, but I bought the gun because of it's classic appeal and the old world charm. I have serious working rifles already and the iron sighted winchester is just a nice gun. A tang sight should make it more useful without taking way from it's looks.
I don't judge anyone for scoping their's, each to their own!

If that rifle is all original - You better not drill and tap it anywhere!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle has 2 screws in the tang, pretty sure these wil accomodate the base for the sight.
I saw a much newer 94 yesterday that only had one screw.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Whether or not to do it depends on how much you dislike missing or wounding your intended victim, and there's nothing wrong with the caliber as far a hunting or just plain plinking goes.

I've had three Win 94's, way back yonder in time...I hated those buckhorns and semi-buckhorns and got rid of them right out of the box.

Lyman has/had tang sights that I used that would fold down out of the way...and their used to be a barrel mount for use with a scope...any of the long eye relief would work as will the red-dot style set-up.

I quit the Winchesters for many reasons and went to Marlin...but in your application I would go with a tang sight or a barrel mount for an optical device, and NOT drill any holes anywhere.

I have a very old 300 Savage Mod 99 break down, 24" bbl I put a Lyman tang sight on...had to do a bit of 'smithing to get it to fit as it was designed for the Win 94 but it now works great. I drilled out the aperture to see a little better, also.

Any good gunsmith or machinist could make or modify a barrel mount if one isn't already available. If you do the all the legwork it shouldn't cost too much over the price of the original mount.

It's your shooter and your decision so enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So my lyman no 2 tang sight showed up. It fitted straight into the original holes with the longer screws provided, but it did take some shimming and filing to centre it.
Went to the range yesterday and early indications are very positive. I had two very different loads with me, both 175 gr, but one hot and one "plinker". With the plinking load I was hitting a 12" target at 200yds. I ran out of rounds on the hotter load as it took me a while to see where they were going(very high!)
but it looks like this has changed from a 100yd deer rifle to a 200 yd deer rifle!
Looking forward to load development and deer season!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre '64 Win. They're not making them any more. Don't mess up a collectible.