New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 44 magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tell me about the Marlin 44 magnum,iam thinking about getting one,i really like the little short barrel ported unit,but cant seem to find one,did they quit makeing a ported trapper in this gun?Whats a good value to pay for a new & used gun..

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one over 20 years ago and killed several deer with it......even got one holding it with one hand (not recommended), it was a nice handling little thing. Have come close to buying one in the cowboy configuration a few times, but something else always comes along to take my money.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
I've had one for many years. Nice and handy. I took a nice ten point whitetail with it and my youngest son shot a bobcat with it when he was 12. IMO, the ported feature is uneccessary and undesirable given the increased muzzle blast. Recoil is nominal.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about ported, but the 1894 in 44 mag. is a sweet rig for the truck. 10 rds. and works for just about everything you might come across in a truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
works for just about everything you might come across in a truck.

Rothke, what the heck are you letting in your truck. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
theback40, that is funny as hell! I have a trapper in 44Mag. Dropped alot of pigs from 75lbs to 350lbs w/ 1 shot. 44Mag in a lever is a bunch of fun!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like em too. I have a Winchester, and have for about 15 years, and taken a lot of game with it. I think its a toss up between Winchester or Marlin. I dont see a need for a muzzle break on either one. Handy little rifles that usually shoot a lot better than you would think, carry a lot of firepower,(9 or 10 rounds) and are easy to shoot and fast to handle. I wouldnt want to be without mine.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some well-known gunwriter once stated that all true riflemen must own a .30-30 levergun. I must assume that he had never owned a .44mag lever, a much cooler and equally useful gun. I would never be without one.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in stainless. The biggest mistake I made was trading off. Fantastic shooter. {after I spent about 6 hrs slicking action}

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Tell me about the Marlin 44 magnum,iam thinking about getting one,i really like the little short barrel ported unit,but cant seem to find one,did they quit makeing a ported trapper in this gun?Whats a good value to pay for a new & used gun..

what exactly makes you think a 44mag carbine needs the complication of porting?

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have an 1894 Marlin in 44 Rem Mag, and I go along with the thought that it does not need to be ported.

I carry mine in the pick up daily and it is a great little gun. I bpought it used, and am really glad I got it. It would have been nice if it had been the Octagon barreled model, but I would niether trade or sell this little gun.

It has logged many miles with me since I bought it, and I don't see that changing.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1894P (ported)w/16" bbl and its a real treat. With the open sights I can hold a 2" group at 100yds...no kidding. That is with my 300gr Nosler HP handloads of course. They never made many of these..only one year of manufacturing and when you do find one its 750.00+ but I got mine in 99.5% condition for 425.00 a few years ago at Cabelas.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of 1895gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I have a Marlin 1894P (ported)w/16" bbl and its a real treat. With the open sights I can hold a 2" group at 100yds...no kidding. That is with my 300gr Nosler HP handloads of course. They never made many of these..only one year of manufacturing and when you do find one its 750.00+ but I got mine in 99.5% condition for 425.00 a few years ago at Cabelas.

I just picked my 1894P 44 Mag, ported Trapper the day before Xmas last December on Gun Broker for $325..... It was a super deal. Now I have all of the ported big bore Marlins! Love it, what a handy rifle.

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 30 May 2010Reply With Quote