New
Find
Notify
Tools

16" Trapper????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up an older Trapper that has been cut to 16". I was thinking it would fill a blank space in my shooting irons. I won't have a chance to shoot it til the weekend. Do any of you have a 16"er? What should I expect?

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Used to have a Win94 16" barreled Trapper in 357mag.
A great little rifle.
The sight plane is a little short although that can be fixed with a receiver mounted aperture sight to some extent.
It's really only an 80yrd gun with the factory sights IMO.
They are a snap to carry thru the bush too, no sticky outy bolt handle jabbing you in the back, light, short and powerful.
You'll like it.
Good luck.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to run a 16 inch Marlin 336 in 30/30 (hmmn, I really ought to buy that one back...). Remington 170 HPs clocked 2000 fps. A buddy has an M94 the same length and finds it a handy little gat. The sight radius gets a little short so think on installing a receiver sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please define reciever sight. Can you send me to a link, so I can see one.

The factory sights are one thing that I noticed right off, pretty crappy, but may get by for a 50 yd. gun.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevrmind, did a little research and found out. Pardon the ignorance, this is the first levergun I've ever owned.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are great. You lose some velocity in the rifle calibers like 30-30, etc..., and gain quite a bit of velocity in the pistol calibers.

I have Williams receiver sights on mine.

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the first ones that came out in 44 mag.....one of my favorite plinking rifles. I can easily hit clay pigeons at 100 yds and is very fast handling. I don't think you can go wrong buying it....nice purchase!!

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i,ve have a win trapper since 1982 , williams f-proof rear and a marbles ivory bead front works great for all of 30/30 range. buc

Posts: 2 | Location: mt vernon ohio | Registered: 04 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same as buc muir, I have had a 30/30 Trapper since they first came out in OZ. Williams receiver sight with the inner disk removed to make it into a 'ghost ring', and recently fitted one of those ashley outdoors 'big dot' tritium front sights.
A very 'quick' handling little gun, so easy to carry, you almost forget it's there.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote