Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336 History question
 Login/Join

posted
At any point has the Marlin 336 gone through any significant design/quality changes? Particularly on the scale of the pre-64 vs. post-64 model 70? I ask because I'm interested in getting one, but would like to know whether it is worth it to track done an older one, or just buy new.

Thanks,
Bob

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I was told there was. I have one I bought in 61
for $75 or so. I saw one for sale and the seller
claimed it was an old style and had $495. on it.
I have however, found no proof of this. I guess
i could find a new one and compare. The Marlin website is not helpful on this either.
If I find any thing I will post.

Welcome Aboard.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I have a 336 RC 30-30 from 1962 with a Weaver
K-4 Bought the same day. I typo above.
I have a newer Guide Gun and like both alot. For the money, something to Hunt with yog can not go wrong with a Marlin. Yea the 30-30,it was my 1st rifle. Still love it.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should buy Doug Murray's book on Marlin 336s. I think that the 336 Sporting Carbines and 336 Deluxe Sporting Carbines would be fun to collect.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cross bolt safety added 1984(?)

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses so far.

Like my other question that I posted at the same time, I should have done more research before posting this one. I found information about the microgoove rifling (apparently begun in the mid-fifties) and that the cross bolt safety was not always a feature. I've also now seen pictures of early rifles that were not D&T for scope mounts. Does anyone know when Marlin first D&T for scope mounts?

I have to admit that some of my interest in the older 336 vs. the newer is the nostalgia that catboat talked about in his post. As of right now the newest rifle that I own was made in 1956, but maybe this is a time when it makes just as much sense to buy new.

Thanks,
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe they began the D & T in '55. I have '51 336A in 35REM. The crossbolt safety came in '83.
In 1948 the 336 was born, upgrading from the mod 36. They really haven't changed much since then. I love 'em. I've got several models and calibers and I wish I had 20 more.

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1948 w/24" barrel and 3/4 magazine. Bought it last year and rechambered to AI. What do you guys think about the quality of steel from 1948, same or weaker than today's steel?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
It would be better to go here for any question on Marlin history: http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/index.php

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only significant change I am aware of is that sometime in the 60's Marlin finally started shipping the 336 with the receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Other than that it's hard to tell the difference...

Just don't buy a new one at WalMart unless you like stained birchwood for a stock.

all other 336 models will be American Walnut

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote