THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    My factory trigger breaks at 3.5 - 4 lbs, would you stone/lighten or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My factory trigger breaks at 3.5 - 4 lbs, would you stone/lighten or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
My gun breaks from 3.5 - 4 #, not real consistent on scale, but breaks clean.

That said, those that have Marlins what are yours, if you did a trigger tune, would you recommend me doing one? Normally set Bolts down to 2.5 lbs or so, but this gun is light. That said, trigger is factory and safe so I'd like to hear suggestions as to would I expect improved accuracy 'significantly' by doing a little stoning?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
that is good for a marlin, I would leave it alone.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was surprised thought it was heavier, being used to lighter triggers, scared to take it too low/mess it up, read a 'how to' where the guy only used 3 strokes on a medium stone to bring his down to 3 or so, hate to go too far......make for expensive replacement.

I'd thought it was 4.5-6lbs being a factory lever.....even bolts today are that high mfg in USA.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any good reasons to leave it alone yet. What has "good for a Marlin" got to do with it. And what is the reason a "hunting" trigger should be so heavy.

Needing to shoot in gloves would be my only concern. I routinely use 1 lb on a M94, which would be too light for "jerks", Smiler or gloves.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
Yeah, I was surprised thought it was heavier, being used to lighter triggers, scared to take it too low/mess it up, read a 'how to' where the guy only used 3 strokes on a medium stone to bring his down to 3 or so, hate to go too far......make for expensive replacement.

I'd thought it was 4.5-6lbs being a factory lever.....even bolts today are that high mfg in USA.

Here's an experiment you might want to try, to answer your own question in a way that would suit YOU:

If you have several older Marlins, measure their weights of pull. I'd almost bet at least some of them are both lighter and smoother due to use.

That tends to happen with both Marlins & Winchesters as they are used and "wear-in".

If those older Marlins suit you as they are now, I'd leave the new one alone. Sure, you can stone it down to match the older ones, but then they are still going to wear, and get lighter and lighter. You COULD end up with one which you had become "partners" with over the years, had lots of good memories of, and find the trigger becoming light enough to make you "edgy".

With mine I have chosen to let lots of use lighten them for me. A real fun method, for me. YMMV

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a pretty good trigger for a Marlin, but I too like lighter triggers and don't like the "Marlin flop".

I have WWG triggers installed in all my Marlins that I shoot regularly and prefer them to factory triggers.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
it is possible to lighten a lever trigger too much so it fires working the action. So, a bit heavier is safer.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lighter than the 3.5 to 4lbs of the subject trigger? (A gunsmith did mine, but I still wouldn't work it pointed at a mate.) Jeese they've even had levers that fired on closeing on purpose.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're better man with an Arkansas stone than the other 99 out of 100 of us taking abrasives to the sear will end with a trip to the gunsmith.

In 1998 my Guide Gun "Mjolnir" came with a needlessly heavy and crunchy trigger. Several average gunsmiths (there are precious few real riflesmiths these days) said they'd rather not touch it. I installed the WWG Trigger Happy Kit myself and enjoy a perceptibly lighter pull with just a wee tick of creep. Other correspondents have reported even better results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My late-model 39a came with a 7-lb trigger, and I had it taken down to 3.5 lb. I'm happy with that.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your not happy with it then get it fixed..I don't mind a heavy lever action trigger as long as it breaks clean..its up to you, but be sure you have someone do it that knows how because it will void your warranty if that makes a difference to you....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote