Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M71 valuation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

How does one value a M71? The one I was looking at yesterday looked like a standard grade. Make no mistake - it had been hunted for years. Silver worn from being carried at the receiver and end of barrel. Plain looking wood and a metal buttpad. Came up like a dream, though.

What should such a rifle fetch?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on your description/condition I would venture somewhere in the range of 12-1500.00
There really weren't very many made compared to other lever Winchesters and due to scarcity brings some bucks. If it has the bolt peep or other factory items would fetch more. Mind you my numbers are just a guess and they may well bring more?? They are indeed a fine well balanced rifle and potent to boot.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pre-war long tang version might fetch a little more than the short tang version. Winchester prices are all over the place, it seems to me.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have a 71 shooter, but a well used one would have to ge around $1000.00 to open my billfold.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago you could buy decent post-war standard models for $850, and post-war deluxe models for $1200, all day long. Like all things pre-64 Winchester, they just keep going up and up.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote