THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    New bullet for the 450 Marlin and new powder for the 348
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New bullet for the 450 Marlin and new powder for the 348
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Great day at the range with the 348 Win and 450 Marlin.

Tried out IMR 4451 and got two groups under 2" at 100 yards. Seems like a very reliable and consistent performer and it is becoming a go too. Also cleans up copper fouling. What's not to like?

Also tried out 405 grain Woodleighs out of my 450 Marlin at about 1800fps with H322. Penetrates better than the 405 Remingtons but don't support that huge mushroom and were not as accurate with my go to H322 load. Also didn't keep as much retained weight but it seems like the jacket will be harder to separate.

Rem on left, Woodleigh on right. Wound Channel and explosive effect of Remington hard too beat.

I have used the Rem bullet for the last 16 years and don't worry too much about core separations. The jacket is very thin and acts a bit like a discarding sabot..the big lead core expands well and weighs around 350 grains and penetrates well enough all by itself.
It usually comes apart at the last bit of travel anyway. Here is one out of a 150 yard caribou from the NWT

Still I think the Woodleigh might be better on really big stuff like Bison. Sticking with the Rem for Moose and under though.

Video here. You can see me get showered from an exploding water jug. Fun day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHVfOtt1jko

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really don't have to worry about expansion with a 45 cal !!! What do you mean by removes copper ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Enduron powder series by IMR are not very effected by temperature and also contain compounds which reduce or eliminate copper fouling. I like the series!

http://www.enduronimr.com/

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading about a recall on that powder and another that came out about the same time..Had to do with pressures..Correct me if Im wrong??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out..there were some lots of 4007 that were recalled. Never heard about 4451.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find a recall on 4451. There was a recall on some lots of 4007.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's probably what I read about.

I remember reading about both powders in the same article and later one of them got a recall..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote