Find
Notify
Tools

454 in a Rossi 92?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Was reading the thread over on single shot about a 1885 in 454.

Was looking for a lever action for grins. Noticed Rossi has their 92 in 454.

That much pressure in a 92 gives me a lot of pause. Frowner

Anyone used one? Any others with pressure concerns?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I read here about parts flying off after use. Sounded like a 90% gun thats needs the owner to finish.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Found and earlier thread with a link to an outside article. The article didn't have a lot good to say. Bolt setback etc.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The 92 is a stronger action than most other lever actions. If I remember correctly the 92 action is rated at 65000. Thus it can use the 454. The marlin 94 is rated at 40,000. Thus a 454 marlin would be a grenade.
As to the long term effect of 454 loads in a 92, I would have no idea and I don't know anyone who has one. My hope is the manufacturer has done the testing to be positive the gun will last. The mag tubes need extra support as they have a tendency to come loose.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to own a Puma/Rossi in 454. I did not hand load for it but shot only the "regular" ammo,300gr Hornady and Winchester. The recoil for this certainly takes it out of the kids gun category. I found it about as accurate as my RSB, which is quite acceptable. I don't think that I would like a steady diet of the heavy loaded ammo 300+ grn loads.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read an article on-line, GunBlast I think it was?? Where the gun was wrung out quite well. He was impressed enough to buy the rifle at the end of the test.
I have one of the 92's in 480 ruger. It is one of my favorite rifles. The .480 has less pressure, but a larger case head etc. It has just under 1500 rounds through it, and has self-slicked up nicely. Still has a little catch in the trigger pull, and keep meaning to tear it apart and fix it, but I'm so used to it now I just don't get to it.
Since Rossi threaded the mag tubes into the receiver, no more mag tubes shearing pins and flying off.
As usuall, your mileage may vary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A local writer here in CA also wrung it out well and used it on a couple of hogs. He also bought it. IIRC, he felt it was like a .45-70 in a handier package.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
With the small amount of area and the curve in that butt plate one misaligned placement and that thing could maim the shooter.

Of course I could always pass along all of the horrible internet stories based in fact . . .

In fact I guess I will include them below.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 480 and 454 92's come with a little longer stock, equipped with a 1" ventilated recoilpad.
Recoil in my 480 with a 355 grn cast at 1850 fps is not punishing.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have one in .454 and really like it. It has held up just fine, no problems so far with about 800 rounds (mostly full power) through it. I really want one in 480 Ruger.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think the 92 could handle it fine; it is a very strong action.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 45 colt rossi I was really wanting the 454 just so I could shoot the hotter 45 colt loads or move up to the 454. Nowhere had one so I settled on a standard 45 colt.
I had a chance to buy a model 92 in 480 Ruger a few years back. The guy selling it bought it on a whim and was wanting to move it quick because ruger had just discontinued making the super redhawk. He really sweetened the deal but I just couldn't do it because myself wife was due any day with our son and myself money was tied up. 300 is what he wanted. Now they are going for 3 times that easily.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Wow Palladin, that would have been a steal back then. I'm still looking for one myself.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote